Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All winter a funny thing has been happening with Maggie's coat (~4 yr old dark red female). The undercoat is showing through considerably, especially on her legs. We asked vet initially and was told it was okay, but nearly six months later it's spread and I'm beginning to worry.

I don't think the top coat has begun to thin out, but it does appear thinner on her belly.

I'm not sure if she's just blowing a coat or not, because you cannot easily pull out the undercoat that's coming through, though vigorous work with a brush will remove it. Does it take this long to blow a coat? Is there a more serious problem?

I apologize, but I don't have a good image to share showing this issue.

- Concerned owner

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
Is she spayed? This could be what they call "spay coat," fuzzy hair that appears exactly like that in spayed bitches and occasionally in neutered males too.

Odd, soft coat growth like that can also be a result of a thyroid condition, I believe, so that may be worth looking into as well.

·
Premium Member
16,421 Posts
Tippykayak covered it nicely: spay/neuter or thyroid. Is it a cottonlike, babysoft lighter-colored coat?

·
Premium Member
18,151 Posts
I would have her thyroid checked. But I also added salmon oil to my dogs food back when his coat was similar to what you describe, it has improved a lot. But he also was thyroid deficient and started medication about the same time too.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
The location (legs) does sound like spay coat...at least with Liberty and Lexi...that is where I notice it...

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
Hootie (who is dark red) and Maggie (medium red) both have spay coat and its mostly on there legs.

·
Maryland
2,806 Posts
Is it fuzzy? That's the spay coat. I actually have a male with the same thing. And I have one female that looks like a Yak. LOL

You can trim off those fuzzies...or use a Mars Coat King to get them out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts