Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We put a deposit down on a golden retriever puppy weeks ago. We just received these pictures today that this is our puppy at 7 weeks old. Is this what they are supposed to look like at 7 weeks?
When does their hair start to grow?
20200628_210930.jpg
o_O

Attachments

·
Premium Member
18,112 Posts
The pictures look like they were taken when the puppy was 5 to 6 weeks old, and that is about right for that age. Golden Retriever coats do not start getting long until they are over 6 months, sometimes closer to a year, and will continue to fill in and get longer until they are over 2 years old.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
I think they are purebred but they don’t look particularly well bred and I agree they look younger than 7 weeks.

For comparison here is one of my 5 week old puppies.

This is a 7 week old puppy from the same litter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All of these puppies look alot fluffier than the one I got pictures of.. do you think its a full blood golden?

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
You know, I have to say if you have this little of confidence in the person you are getting a puppy from is actually producing what they say they are producing, then it doesn't sound like this is someone you should be giving money to and supporting. Often in life, we get what we pay for. An ill-bred dog can be extremely costly down the road with orthepedic surgeries costing in the several thousand dollar range.

·
Puddles
3,850 Posts
This is my girl the day she came home, 1 day before 7 weeks. Both parents had generous coats. I tend to agree with everyone else, if you have expectations you need to find a breeder that has the product/style of puppy you are looking for. No one intending to purchase a golden ret. puppy should need to ask opinions on if your pup is actually a golden. You should feel confident on your purchase (on anything you buy) and the quality of the puppy.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
My Finn is a little less fluffy than some of the others posted since he’s from a field line. The puppy you posted looks a lot younger than 7 weeks old.
This is him at 4 weeks old:

This is him at 8 weeks old

1 - 20 of 20 Posts