Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We took our Golden to the vet about a month ago and she thought he was too thin. We just took him again and he weighed in at 50 pounds at 10 months.

I've always thought he was healthy looking. As per our vets suggestion we moved him up to 5 cups a day of food, which seems like a lot for a 10 month. Thoughts? Do you think he looks thin?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,143 Posts
First of, welcome :) He is a good looking boy! He might be on the smaller end for a male, the best indication you can go with is by his parents- what were their weights etc? Did he have any health issues when he was younger? Giardia etc?

5 cups of food is alot, how many cups did you feed previously? It's hard to tell via the photos you attached as he's lying down. Vets go by body conditioning score I've attached a chart for your reference.
BCS-Canine.jpg

·
Registered
173 Posts
If you post a couple more pictures of a side view with him standing and a top view looking down, we can be more helpful. As far as 5 cups of food being a lot, who knows? Each brand of dog food is different and you may need to feed 4 cups of one or 3 cups of another for the same dog. My puppy has always eaten over 5 cups of food and is often on the edge of too thin, so to me, I don’t hesitate when I hear that amount. ESPECIALLY if a vet tells you your dog is underweight.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's actually currently at the vets now getting neutered today.

So I dont have many good photos of above or his side but i do have this one?

Thank you guys, he was eating 3.5 cups.

He is also much more active every since we got another dog in February.

Lol! The worst pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you post a couple more pictures of a side view with him standing and a top view looking down, we can be more helpful. As far as 5 cups of food being a lot, who knows? Each brand of dog food is different and you may need to feed 4 cups of one or 3 cups of another for the same dog. My puppy has always eaten over 5 cups of food and is often on the edge of too thin, so to me, I don’t hesitate when I hear that amount. ESPECIALLY if a vet tells you your dog is underweight.

Oh I also just found out from the breeder. Both his parents were 60 pounds full grown. Makes me feel a little better.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First of, welcome :) He is a good looking boy! He might be on the smaller end for a male, the best indication you can go with is by his parents- what were their weights etc? Did he have any health issues when he was younger? Giardia etc?

5 cups of food is alot, how many cups did you feed previously? It's hard to tell via the photos you attached as he's lying down. Vets go by body conditioning score I've attached a chart for your reference. View attachment 871628
Thank you I'm still bad at this. Lol posted a couple pictures below. Just checked both his parents were 60 pounds full grown so that makes me feel better.

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
I don't think he looks thin at all, especially for a 10 month old (a lot of Goldens seem to go through a lanky stage then... just like most teenagers!). I think sometimes vets get used to seeing fat Goldens and forget what a lean and healthy one should look like! A little too thin is better than a little too fat in terms of their overall health. If you can easily see ribs or hip bones when he's just standing there, or if you can feel every rib when you lightly run your hand down his sides, then he's getting too thin. Otherwise, I think he looks great! I would predict he'll put on a bit more weight once he's neutered, and may put on a bit more "substance" when he's a full grown adult (2-3 years old). That said, I've had two dogs, one male one female, who stayed lean like that their whole lives (and were perfectly healthy at that weight). Do be aware that when dogs are neutered before 18 months (when their growth plates close) tend to be taller and lankier than those who are left intact until after this time...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't think he looks thin at all, especially for a 10 month old (a lot of Goldens seem to go through a lanky stage then... just like most teenagers!). I think sometimes vets get used to seeing fat Goldens and forget what a lean and healthy one should look like! A little too thin is better than a little too fat in terms of their overall health. If you can easily see ribs or hip bones when he's just standing there, or if you can feel every rib when you lightly run your hand down his sides, then he's getting too thin. Otherwise, I think he looks great! I would predict he'll put on a bit more weight once he's neutered, and may put on a bit more "substance" when he's a full grown adult (2-3 years old). That said, I've had two dogs, one male one female, who stayed lean like that their whole lives (and were perfectly healthy at that weight). Do be aware that when dogs are neutered before 18 months (when their growth plates close) tend to be taller and lankier than those who are left intact until after this time...
Yeah! Ths is for the advice we were trying to get him done at the one year mark as per our vet but with the pandemic we were losing our opportunity at that time and hes started marking.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
He looks good to me. My 2 year old boy is approximately 50 lbs and looks very similar to yours. I have noticing
him filling out a lot lately, he is not fixed yet. He eats 3 cups of food a day. After neutering, a lot of dogs gain weight
very easily, due to hormonal changes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts