Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

We got our first dog a few weeks ago and need some help identifying what she might be mixed with. She is about 11 weeks old and is around 20 lbs.

Here's a link to a picture of her.

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

We had been looking for a dog for a while and we happened across this little pup. We think her parent's owners said that she was a Golden/Pomeranian Mix. Not really knowing what a Pomeranian looked like, we Googled it and I'm pretty sure that we misheard her parent's owners. She is already the size of about four fully grown Pomeranians.

Our vet thinks that she may be mixed with a poodle. The vet said it would be easier to tell when she gets older, but I figure that there are some pretty knowledgeable Golden Retriever experts on this forum.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Kendrick

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
From that One pic all I see is golden..she's a cutie for sure! Congrats!

·
Kate
21,690 Posts
I sure hope they didn't breed a golden with a pom. Because that really is wrong on so many levels. o_O

From the picture I'm not really seeing anything other than golden. Did your vet say why they were thinking poodle?

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
I only see golden, but she seems quite large. Could they have meant golden/pyrenees mix? She certainly is precious looking!

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
She looks like a Golden to me too. If anything seems slightly like it might not be all Golden, it might be the blockiness and slight extra length of the snout.....but I am no expert. As she grows, what the other dog is (or if it isn't) will become more apparent. If it is Great Pyrenees and Golden, those are two wonderful breeds of dogs.
PS She is beautiful

·
Mom to 9 :)
2,383 Posts
Looks pretty golden but if there is a mix in there, I agree w/ DaisyGolden--great pyrenees.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the help. The Vet thinks she's poodle because her fur seems thicker and more poodle like. I wouldn't really know I've only been around a few poodles.

Here are some more pictures. She's pretty hard to photograph unless she's sleepy. Sorry for the not-so-good pics.

She does look a lot like a Pyrenees. She has a vet appt on Monday so I'll have to mention ask about it. It looks like she would more likely be a Pyrenees than a Pomeranian.

Thanks for all the help, you guys are great.
Kendrick

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
I don't know what she's mixed with but she sure is beautiful.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
what's her name?

PLEASE keep posting updated pics of her so we can keep breed guessing

she sure just looks like the other golden pups I see here

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ronda - thanks, and she doesn't appear to have double dew claws (I had to google what a dew claw was, sorry I'm new at this) but she does have dew claws on both her front and back legs, if that helps.

I'll post pics every week or so to keep you guys updated.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Agree with others a Golden/Pyrenese mix. If so, she will be a BIG girl when grown Most of the Pyrenese are much heavier than a Golden. She is a doll and would love to see her grow. Congratulations

Reactions: MikaTallulah

·
Kate
21,690 Posts
ronda - thanks, and she doesn't appear to have double dew claws (I had to google what a dew claw was, sorry I'm new at this) but she does have dew claws on both her front and back legs, if that helps.

I'll post pics every week or so to keep you guys updated.
If she has dews on her back feet, then that definitely is double dews and very likely she's mixed with a pyr.

·
Premium Member
18,421 Posts
Double dew claws on a Pyrenees is actually 2 dew claws clustered together on each back foot, not just the presence of a single dew claw on the back feet.

But I agree she looks like she could have some Pyr mix. She is an adorable fluffy puppy.

·
New Mommy
6,137 Posts
She's super cute no matter what she is. You may have to do a DNA test if you really want to know. My ex-husband's roommate had a female Pit Bull that bred to a male Golden down the street and the babies came out looking all Golden.

Reactions: MikaTallulah

·
Kate
21,690 Posts
Double dew claws on a Pyrenees is actually 2 dew claws clustered together on each back foot, not just the presence of a single dew claw on the back feet.
^^^ That is bizarre. I didn't realize that they don't just have rear dews but also have doubles back there. o_O

1 - 20 of 28 Posts