Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I haven't formally introduced myself so apologies there! I have been a watcher for a while on the board, have obtained loads of useful information, have responded to one or two posts but haven't started a thread of my own but now I'm getting desperate.

I'm from the East Bay of CA and I can't for the life of me find a good vet! I have a six year old Yorkie (Toby) and a six month old Golden (Lucky). Toby (thankfully) has never really had to go to the vet for anything major until recently when he had an abscessed anal gland and the vet (who was recommended to me by a friend) has always seemed okay. However, a few things didn't quite sit right with me after Toby's surgery. Then when I took Lucky in I believe he completely misdiagnosed an ear infection, then wanted me to pay to have him sedated to he could treat it at his clinic - but I was able to treat it at home. There were other things to like him trying to pick up my 50lb. Golden by the neck to put him on the table like he was a 2lb. pup, left me wondering, have you done this before!? Anyway - now I'm scrambling before something else happens to find a good if not GREAT vet. I've asked around at the dog park, friends and family, my groomer and have Yelped them all but none have gotten fab reviews. Are any of you from my area? Do any of you have a great vet who you just SWEAR by?!

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
I don't know a vet local to you, but you may want to ask the golden rescues in the area or even your local golden club. I move every couple of years so am always in search of new vets. I look first to see that they're accredited by the American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA). You can search for vets in your area at https://www.aahanet.org/

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Don't know how far you're willing to travel but Bishop Ranch Vet Center in San Ramon is wonderful. So is Dr. Hill, (he's my vet), in Castro Valley. I don't know if Dr. Tisdale is still practicing, but he's also another vet I would recommend. He's in Fremont. Here's their info:

Bishop Ranch:

Welcome to Bishop Ranch Veterinary Center & Urgent Care

Dr. Hill:

Hill's Veterinary Hospital (AAHA) Castro Valley CA pet care for cats and dogs

Dr. Tisdale

43391 Ellsworth St
(between Grove Ave & Washington Blvd)
Fremont, CA 94539
(510) 651-3960

For holistic vet care, (Bishop Ranch also provides holistic care), Creature Comfort in Oakland is great:

Creature Comfort Holistic Veterinary Center - Veterinarian In Oakland, CA USA :: Home

1 - 4 of 4 Posts