Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a six-year old male golden retriever. He is a little overweight, but not much ( I can feel his ribs if I hug him). Lately, when I walk him for more than a mile, he lays down and pants with his heart racing for at least an hour after the walk. Is this normal aging or could there be a serious medical issue? Should I stop walking him? I'm worried that if I do he will just get more out of shape. Help!

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
A few questions that might help you get better advice...
- How tall is he and how much does he weigh?
- Where do you live? Has there been a temperature change lately? Has it suddenly gotten warmer than he's used to? What time of day do you walk him? In the morning or evening when it's cool? Or mid-day when it's warm?
- How far do you usually walk him and how often? Do you usually walk him a mile every day? Or is it only on the weekends?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but it helps to know more about the situation before offering advice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, I just went and measured him. He is really big for a golden, the biggest one I have ever seen. He is 27 inches from the shoulder to the floor when he is standing. He weighs 117 pounds. I live in Texas. The daytime temperatures have been over 100 degrees, so I walk him in the morning and/or after 8:00 pm, but the temps are still over 90 degrees. The place that I usually walk him has a doggie drinking fountain, so he can get a drink mid-walk.

·
Best Buds Forever!
231 Posts
The heat can have a lot to do with that but as "mdoats" asked there could be many factors on why this could be happening. My question would be when is his next vet visit. This would be a good thing to take up with your vet sooner rather than later.

Ripley's Dad

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
I think you should definitely focus on getting some weight off him. Even at 27 inches, 117 pounds is pretty big. Just cut his food back a bit and replace it with unsalted green beans. As he gets older, health issues may develop and if he's leaner he'll have fewer joint problems, etc.

Regarding the walking, the heat is most likely the issue. But I'd be a little concerned since you have been walking him the same distance every day and it's a problem all of a sudden. Probably worth a visit to the vet.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
My older male is just over 26 inches at the shoulder, decent bone, and weighs 80 pounds. I agree your boy could probably lose a few pounds.
I know the heat in Texas has been record setting oppressive, so *chances are* it's a combination of being overweight and the terrible heat.
That said, do take it up with your vet. Always better to be safe than sorry!

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
I agree that the heat and his weight are most likely his big problem. Is there any chance he can swim for his exercise? If not, and he checks out O.K. at the vet, you may want to wet him down with the hose before you start to walk.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.