Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, our beloved Max is one year old already and a huge, friendly guy. Problem is, over the past two months my husband has been getting steadilly more ill. It started off with a runny nose and itchy eyes, then progressed to itchy hives and last week he had to rush into hospital after going from a tickly cough to not being able to catch his breath!

The hospital ran several tests on him and have said he is very allergic to dogs. Naturally enough we're devastated. He had asthma as a kid and apparantly it has decided to rear its ugly head again after all this time. We have an air purifier, we checked the garden for anything that could cause a problem. Max gets a shower three times a week and a good blowout as well. He is spotless. Has anyone else ever dealt with such an extreme reaction? Hubs is the one who walks and bathes Max, since I have rheumatoid arthritis, so it's not like I can just take over and keep the dog away from him (like I could, hah). We are just so upset here, hubs is very ill. Any advice would be brilliant :(

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
How about allergy shots?
My brother was severely allergic to cats growing up. I of course loved cats!
When he left for college I was allowed to get a cat. Other than bathing the big thing we did was get rid off all the carpet in the house and the cat was never allowed into his room.

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Unfortunately, I don't think there is anything that is likely to work if he is that sensitive to dog dander short of creating a dog free environment. Antihistamines will give some relief, but desensitizing takes years of treatment in many cases.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts