Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Jameson's Mommy
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1 year old golden, Jameson had a small spot under his ear which I suspected was a hot spot after reading lots of information online. He goes swimming a lot so I kept an eye on it and made sure to dry him off as best as I could. Right before I went on vacation the fur near the spot was all wet and smelled. My mom took him to the vet because I was away and the vet technician looked at it and said that it looked like it was a hot spot but had gotten infected. She told my mom to apply hydrogen peroxide and if it didn't get better to make an appointment. My mom said it got much better and was scabbing over. It's been 2 weeks now and it all feels hard with black scabs. He has a large one under one ear and then a couple of small spots (head, other ear). I was wondering how long it will take the scabs to fall off? When I pet him I sometimes feel parts of a scab not attached to the skin and I pull it off his fur but I don't know if I should still be giving him a bath and if it's healing properly???? I also changed his food recently and I don't know if it's a coincidence or if he could be allergic to it???

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
If they are all scabbed and dry it sounds like they are healing. I would not rush removing the scabs from the skin, but once they become detached you can brush them out gently. It should take a few more days at most. There is no reason why you can't give him a bath, just make sure he's dried properly afterwards.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts