Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so the people we got Holly from gave me some of the puppy food she had been eating and told me that she was on Purina One Puppy. So I bought another bag. I was just about out of what they gave me and so I opened the bag that I bought and it looked different. Well I mixed it and for the rest of the day she had a mix of the new and old food. That was Sat into Sunday. Then today I had to give her only the new food. She has diarrhea. I know the reason and its my fault, I feel horrible...my question is ..what do I do now? I am making sure she has water, cant really make her drink..but shes acting ok, playing eating and doing great. How long should I expect it to last and is there anything else I can do? She is just 7 weeks old. I feel like such a bad Mommy :(

·
8,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Any words of wisdom, advice, or comfort sure would be appreciated......

·
8,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no help??? :( Im really worried about her......

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
Have you called her breeder and asked him/her about the food? It's a bit strange that you bought the same food and it looks different. Normally if you switch to another brand of food you should do that very slowly, not from one day upon the other day, but if it is the same brand, same variety, it should be ok just to open the bag and go. Did you check the bag you bought? I mean, the food wasn't off or something?
Tess has (had) a lot of diarrhea and I always gave her cooked rice and cooked ground beef (wash first!) to settle her tummy for a couple of days. As Holly is still so very young, I wouldn't wait too long with calling the vet, personally.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Has she had her new puppy check-up yet? That would be priority #1 (even if she's not due yet for vaccinations). I'd make sure to take a fecal sample in also. The stress of coming to a new home and switching foods are enough to cause stress diarrhea in many pups, but those stressors can also allow coccidia and other intestinal parasites to multiply and cause diarrhea. Really diarrhea in a 7 week old warrants a vet visit (or at least a call if you've just been to the vet). I wouldn't mess around with bland diets, etc. unless the vet prescribes one.

·
8,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took her to the vert on Fri for her shots and first check up and again this morning to check a patch of itchy skin. After I got home from the vet she started with the diarrhea. I guess I should just call them and see what they say...UGH...I am worried. Im calling them now...

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
We went through the same thing within a week of bringing Hank home. Sometimes I think it's just stress on their adjusting little systems. Different home, different 'pack', different water. I'd try adding a little canned pumpkin (tablespoon size blob) to her food to see if that helps. You can also try some boiled chicken or gr. beef & rice.

Are her stools pudding-like or brown water? If it gets to the brown water stage and very frequent, or if it's not cleared up in a day or two, I'd call the vet.

With Hank it went to brown water overnight (sat-sun) with him going every 1/2 hr. I took him to the 24hr. vet because I was worried about dehydration. He had a round of Flagyl (sp?) which cleared everything up.

·
8,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WEll I called the vet and Im waiting on a call back. I was jsut there this morning. Its pudding like, not brown water...I know its the food change...it has to be. Well lets see what the vet says and thank you very much for your responses.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Oh no, maybe you could bring a stool sample into the vet just so they can make sure everything is clear? Maddie had Coccidia as a puppy and she had very loose, pudding like stools like you described. You could bring a sample in and ask them to check it. Good luck!

·
8,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Im waiting on the vet to call back. Ill see what she says. Her stools were fine when I brought her home, the next daythey were loose..that was friday, then they were fine again till today...after the ffod change. I guess Ill see what the vet says. I hope I dont have to bring her back again...but I will do what I have to do. Poor baby.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Hi, I just wanted to sympathise and say "poor baby" to your pup! Josie had diarrhea when I tried to change her food, and I know all about the guilt thing. Don't feel badly, you didn't know it would upset her tummy.
When my puppy had it, I did do the bland diet for a couple of days, and gradually, over 2-3 weeks, added in the kibble. She was older than your baby though, so I would get the vets ok first.
We just had another bout of diarrhea yesterday, but I think that was related to her teething. I guess she has a sensitive tummy. :no:

·
8,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Jamnom. I jjust got back from the vet they gave ma a prescription for the diarrhea..metronidazole. So I am feeling alot better. Hopefully this will help!! Of course she has not gone since I called...but I just fed her again soooo......
Thanks fo all your answers, I was sooo worried. I appreciate it!

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
I'm sorry I missed your thread earlier, but I wouldn't have known what to advise other than the vet call since she is so young.

I hope the metronidazole clears her up quickly.

YOu should still call the breeder and make sure they told you the right food to put her on I think.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Pups seem to get upset tummies so easily. I try not to worry about it unless its green and or bloody. Pups can dehydrate very quickly so you were completely right to get the vets advice. Hope things settle soon.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts