Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got off the phone with our vet, but he is unfamiliar with the antlers. I got it at Hollywood Feed. It is one of those that have the points cut off and is about 5" long. Murphy broke it in half and swallowed half of it. The section that he swallowed was about 1 1/2" -2" long and about as big around as a nickle and maybe a little bit bigger around at the other end of the piece that he swallowed.
The vet told me what to look for and when I should go to the emergency clinic, but I was wondering if anyone else has had this happen. And if so, did it pass? I am so worried about him.
Hoping someone is out there listening tonight, as I will be waiting on pins and needles.

Oh, if it matters, Murphy is 6 months and about 50lbs.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
I am guessing that your pup will pass it...
Antlers stand a much better chance of being dissolved by stomach acid (at least enough to pass through the digestive tract) than a chunk of nylabone, barbie leg or a sock...

I wouldnt feed tomorrow morning just in case there is a problem...\
Potty the little one on leash so you will know exactly when he poops....not that antler will be easily recognizable... :-(

·
Mom to Bailey & Burgundy
4,217 Posts
I wouldn't be too concerned...but just keep an eye on him...and breathe...

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Gosh, that's scary. I'd keep an eye on him and in close contact with your vet. And for future references, I throw away antlers once they get small or thin. Mary had very good advice.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I would think that it should pass without a problem in a day or so. That's a pretty small object compared to some of the things that goldens manage to swallow and then successfully pass. I wouldn't think that a small piece of antler would be likely to cause any problems (like an obstruction) on the way through the system. Just keep an eye him (and his poops) for the next day or so.

Oh, it's OK to wipe the sweat off your forehead now and relax:p:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, thank all of you. You have completely eased my mind. (well at least a little).
I didn't think that the antlers could be digested at all. Little do I know. Of course, I also didn't think that htey could break. It was still relatively new. But if his stomach acid can reduce the size by just a little bit, I feel comfortable that he will be able to pass it. My vet is concerned that it might cause an obstruction, but since he is not familiar with them, I thought for sure someone here would have a similar experience.
I will watch his poop very closely. I just thank God for an on call vet, and for this forum to help out in a pinch.

·
2,472 Posts
antler is made of bone, so this should be little different than swallowing any other piece of bone. I second keeping an eye on him but he'll probably be fine.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I agree as well, just keep an eye on when he poops, so you will be sure it does pass. It should break down enough to not give him problems, but....it is good to know that he has passed it, so you won't be so worried.

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
I'd keep a close watch on him as others have suggested. My Tucker broke off a piece of antler and we don't allow the dogs to have them anymore. The antlers I purchased were very hard and nothing was cut off. Everything we give them has the potential to be dangerous. I do give my two braided bully sticks and they do well with them, but I really worry about these, too.

I hope everything goes well...

·
Susan
1,187 Posts
Our cattle dog Rascal wolfed down a 2" piece of rib bone last weekend. We just watched her to make sure she was pooping and her belly was soft.

I bought boneless rib roast for Christmas dinner.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Wow......You poor thing. I know I hated calling the vet with a sentence that starts-My dog swallowed.......It is especially worse when it is a puppy.

So far my two goldens have swallowed:

1 bottle of Tylenol
1 bottle of Percocet
2 socks
1 pair of wife's underwear
Numerous rawhide chunks
1 coke can ....yes a coca cola can. The vet said it would pass and sure enough it did. It was beyond me how it did not cut up his insides.
pennies and a quarter
Hair scrunchy
chunks of sticks.....

We are starting to sound like bad dog owners.......Of course this is 14 years of experiences with 2 goldens. Most of these happened between 14 weeks and 3 years old. We woke up hearing the 11 month old trying to vomit yesterday. I wonder if God accepts the "Dear Lord....Let my dog vomit prayer."

I agree about the stomach acid eating the antler. If you could only combine your stomach acid with your golden I am sure it was dissolve instantly, LOL

I hope everything goes right and quickly so you can enjoy the holidays in Peace.

Merry Christmas......and let us know !

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
The warning signs would be vomiting or trying to poop and can't. Then get to the vet ASAP.

Hope it passes through OK.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, Murphy made it through the holiday without a problem. Didn't even miss a beat! Guess I got all worked up for nothing.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hello Friend !
I am with you with the swallowing things part.
My Trinian ate and swallowed several rocks and we are trying to break him of it.
He did have one very expensive surgery to remove a rock that got stuck in his intestine, but I am thinking that the antler might be smaller and pass more easily.
Watch his poops or hope that he barfs it up.
I have always had labradors who carry logs , but they never EAT them.
I love the Golden breed, and Trini is my first. What an education !!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Gee, I had to laugh really hard at the Golden who swallowed the coke can.
I know it's definately NOT funny at the time. We kept wondering where our sponges were going, they just disappeared *poof*.
Down the doggie disposal!
waste paper, toilet paper, what ever else is laying around, including several small soft toys and 2 or 3 pillows.....
( Now it's only the hard kongs or similar hard toys)
Not to change the thread, but has anyone read "A Big Little Life" by Dean Koontz?
It's about his favoritie Golden, Trixie. A beautiful tribute to a loving wonderful dog.
WE are all so lucky to have them in our lives even if it's for a seemingly short time.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I just started reading it. I have read about 45 pages so far. I got the book for Christmas for my wife. She was hesitant in getting it for me because of Trixie dying and the loss of Riker our Golden of 13 earlier this year. I did not do well with Marley and me. It was like re-living put our golden down. It still brings a tear to my eye. Hopefully, I would get as depressed about this ending.

Speaker of Riker, he was the one with the Coke Can. It drove me nuts waiting for him to have a movement. I still can't believe he digested and passed it. By the way, he did not swallow the can whole. He shredded it up and swallowed it. Also, it was about 1/2 the can. You could see the little red and white of the aluminum can in the stool. He went through a chewing period that drove us nuts. He chewed up the tylenol bottle which was very very dangerous. He digested about 4 tylenol and my wife got him to the vet to induce vomiting. He wanted to give him a shot that would counteract the tylenol. That shot was going to cost $ 400. As it turned out, my parents started a dog rescue group in North GA and the vet that worked with the group told us that you could give the shot after symptoms showed up. Since there wasn't a symptom we did not give the shot. Personally, I think our vet was trying to pull something over on us. I never went back to him after that.

To the original poster.......How did things turn out with the antler ??

·
Registered
10,529 Posts
I hope everything came out OK as far as the antler goes ;) Based on the description, it sounds like one of the Antlerz brand, and I do not recommend those at all. They are smaller than other antlers, with no branches, and are softer as well. Of course, being softer may have helped in this case!

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Be prepared for the antler to come out of the mouth in a couple of weeks. If you hear your dog beginning to upchuck get ready to catch the antler. Mine swallowed a kitty toy ball and I looked in his poop each time. Then one night it came right out of his mouth looking more like a football instead of the squishy pink ball that went in two weeks earlier.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts