Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
-Sam from California
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Concerned mother here...

Hello ya'll, I had a question about whether youve experienced this with your golden before I take him to the dr. The other day Bruce was limping on the front left paw then stopped the day after. Now today he is limping on back left paw.s a sign of arthritis? Since he is a rescue, his age is estimated at 6. He is very mellow. & generally sleeps all day. Anyone have an idea?

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
At 6 he could well be showing signs of the aches and pains that plague us older "folks" or he could have a bit of weekend warrior syndrome;).

There are quite a few supplements that you can try to help Bruce if arthritis or other "itis" issues are his problem.

A good check-up with your vet is a good beginning. He can recommend NSAIDS or other options for better mobility. Copper managed quite well for about 6 months with a chondroitin/clucosamine supplement and then Duralactin. I also used massage (manual and electric) and a heating pad to make Copper more comfortable. He was quite a bit older than Bruce at that stage though.

It just depends on what you and your vet are comfortable using.
Here is a link to a thread about various supplements for mobility problems.
http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com...supplements-etc-arthritis-joint-problems.html

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
I'd have a full tick panel and thyroid panel done. Goldens are prone to hypothyroidism and at his age, there's a good possibility that is what is causing the lameness. Definitely a vet visit is in order!

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I agree with fostermom that a vet visit is in order. He may have simply injured himself; but it's important to find out for certain.

·
IKE- Canine Blood Donor
12,542 Posts
I'm guessing you've checked for things stuck in/on his feet/pads? My Sam had burrs caught in the fur between his pads once and he looked like he was walking on pins and needles. I'd 2nd the tick panel. Sam also had Lyme and his only symptom was lameness in one front leg that would come and go. I thought he'd injured himself, but it was Lyme.

I hope he starts feeling better soon...and that it's nothing serious.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Vet

Try to relax and not get worried, but I would make a vet visit, too.
Lots of good suggestions here.
Please let us know what vet says!

Does Bruce put weight on his back leg, or is he holding it up and Hopping.
Our Smooch tore her CCL or ACL when she was 10 years old in her Right Rear Leg.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
I'd have a full tick panel and thyroid panel done. Goldens are prone to hypothyroidism and at his age, there's a good possibility that is what is causing the lameness. Definitely a vet visit is in order!
yep thats where my brain was going

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
yep thats where my brain was going
Mine, too! I am not sure what TBD are prevalent in your area, but intermittent lameness is one of the symptoms and it often will switch legs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts