Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's Monday, June 7, 2021
Our beloved 1 year 11 month old Golden named Julie is having a troubles.

Last Friday she could walk but was staggering and in some cases she fell over. Now she doesn't walk at all.

Here are her symptoms;

- head shakes, sometimes

- can't walk (if we use a sling under her abdomen and assist her carrying a fair amount her weight-
she can walk but not well)

- head tilt

- hasn't peed or pooed since Saturday June 5, 2021 (please pardon the crude terms)

- does drink some water but not much (about 3 cups a day)

- eats very little- about 4 ounces per day of meat (raw)

- lays on the floor all day long but does move around within a 6 foot area

  • wags her tail when happy
  • she HAS NOT vomited

Veterinary visits;

1- Saturday, June 5, 2021 Doctor prescribed Baytril (antibiotic for ear infection)
2- Sunday, June 6, 2021 (different doctor) prescribed Cerenia and Meclizine

Presently (about 4 days since her troubles began)

We are all extremely sad. I cry mostly every day. She's not getting any better and I'm more than worried she'll die. Frankly, I think she had a stroke but I'm no expert in this matter. I read that it's likely to be IVD and hopefully peripheral and not central.

Please, if you have any ideas on how to help her please reply.

Thank you,

Peter
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
2,019 Posts
Hi Peter. She needs a referral to a veterinary neurologist and an internist. She’ll likely need a CT and MRI.
It is also worth testing for tick borne diseases.

I hope you manage to figure things out, I’m so sorry you’re going through this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,436 Posts
It's Monday, June 7, 2021
Our beloved 1 year 11 month old Golden named Julie is having a troubles.

Last Friday she could walk but was staggering and in some cases she fell over. Now she doesn't walk at all.

Here are her symptoms;

- head shakes, sometimes

- can't walk (if we use a sling under her abdomen and assist her carrying a fair amount her weight-
she can walk but not well)

- head tilt

- hasn't peed or pooed since Saturday June 5, 2021 (please pardon the crude terms)

- does drink some water but not much (about 3 cups a day)

- eats very little- about 4 ounces per day of meat (raw)

- lays on the floor all day long but does move around within a 6 foot area

  • wags her tail when happy
  • she HAS NOT vomited

Veterinary visits;

1- Saturday, June 5, 2021 Doctor prescribed Baytril (antibiotic for ear infection)
2- Sunday, June 6, 2021 (different doctor) prescribed Cerenia and Meclizine

Presently (about 4 days since her troubles began)

We are all extremely sad. I cry mostly every day. She's not getting any better and I'm more than worried she'll die. Frankly, I think she had a stroke but I'm no expert in this matter. I read that it's likely to be IVD and hopefully peripheral and not central.

Please, if you have any ideas on how to help her please reply.

Thank you,

Peter
Do you have an emergency vet hospital nearby? It sounds like she needs to go to one ASAP.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Peter. She needs a referral to a veterinary neurologist and an internist. She’ll likely need a CT and MRI.
It is also worth testing for tick borne diseases.

I hope you manage to figure things out, I’m so sorry you’re going through this.
I was afraid of that and have heard about the CT and MRI. To say this is awful- we aren't that rich.
Ticks are unlikely. I treat our property and we haven't had ticks in years.

Peter
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,554 Posts
Did either of your vets mention vestibular disease? It is often associated with an ear infection, and is frequently mistaken for a stroke. She is young for that but her symptoms fit what I have seen in my own dogs with vestibular.

Are her eyes whirligiging? That/is one of the most common symptoms of vestibular disease.

What did your vets say about her inability to walk and other symptoms? What is their plan? Did they say how long it would take for her to feel better?


If your vet cannot answer your questions, then I would seek another opinion and ask for a referral.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
2,019 Posts
I agree with Tahnee. It’s also interesting to note that there are new theories of thought that canine strokes or TIAs end up getting diagnosed as vestibular disease because extensive imaging in dogs isn’t as widespread. Dogs have a remarkable recovery ability given supportive care and time.
What is urgent is that she needs fluids and to make sure she isn’t retaining urine. I would try to get her somewhere where she can be stabilized.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One doctor mentioned immediately- "looks like vestibular"

Julie has always rubbed her ears with her paws and loves me to rub them also. She's very insistent about that (I shouldn't have to say this but, "no, she doesn't insistent I do it all the time I've ever been with her".)

Two vets is, I think sufficient for our circumstances. God have mercy on her.
 

·
Super Moderator Leader
Joined
·
51,741 Posts
I'm sorry you and your girl are going through this.

Do you have a Vet school in your State?

There is Care Credit that you can apply for to take care of Vet expenses, most clinics have the information available to clients.

I hope you get answers and help for your girl.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm sorry you and your girl are going through this.

Do you have a Vet school in your State?

There is Care Credit that you can apply for to take care of Vet expenses, most clinics have the information available to clients.

I hope you get answers and help for your girl.
I'll ask Metropolitan if they have Care Credit. Thank you.

Peter
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,186 Posts
They may also have funds for financial cases- when I first read your post I read 11Yo- in which case it is almost certainly neurological and then when someone said she was young, I re-read it correctly. I'd guess it is her ears or tick borne disease but think you have to do more diagnostics to know which, all it would take would be one tick and treated land or not, a bite is possible. A tick panel costs about $200 and is a blood test. The vets at Metro will make you good if-then plan, and if they are aware of the financial constraints can consider that when recommending a plan.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
If you do face high vet costs, contacting the Mosby Foundation and see if they can help. That is their sole mission: helping dog owners with one time extraordinary vet expenses. Its my favorite charity.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
It's Monday, June 7, 2021
Our beloved 1 year 11 month old Golden named Julie is having a troubles.

Last Friday she could walk but was staggering and in some cases she fell over. Now she doesn't walk at all.

Here are her symptoms;

- head shakes, sometimes

- can't walk (if we use a sling under her abdomen and assist her carrying a fair amount her weight-
she can walk but not well)

- head tilt

- hasn't peed or pooed since Saturday June 5, 2021 (please pardon the crude terms)

- does drink some water but not much (about 3 cups a day)

- eats very little- about 4 ounces per day of meat (raw)

- lays on the floor all day long but does move around within a 6 foot area

  • wags her tail when happy
  • she HAS NOT vomited

Veterinary visits;

1- Saturday, June 5, 2021 Doctor prescribed Baytril (antibiotic for ear infection)
2- Sunday, June 6, 2021 (different doctor) prescribed Cerenia and Meclizine

Presently (about 4 days since her troubles began)

We are all extremely sad. I cry mostly every day. She's not getting any better and I'm more than worried she'll die. Frankly, I think she had a stroke but I'm no expert in this matter. I read that it's likely to be IVD and hopefully peripheral and not central.

Please, if you have any ideas on how to help her please reply.

Thank you,

Peter
Take her to an academic veterinary school ASAP if possible. The ear infection was a good first bet, but if after medicating for it, she's not drinking or urinating and is still having these symptoms, it sounds like something neurological and serious. She needs at least a CAT scan if not an MRI.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wednesday, June 9, 2021

I took Julie to the hospital last night, they admitted her and today she had an MRI and a spinal fluid sample taken.

She has brain swelling that has effected her brain stem and the doctor believes she has Meningitis. The results of the spinal fluid exam with be forthcoming to determine definitively if she has Meningitis. The doctor said that there's an 85% recovery rate for dogs with Meningitis and that medication is necessary for the remainder of their lives.

Telling the doctor that due to the circumstances of our household life and the care required for her to recover I had decided (wrongfully) to "put her to sleep" but that I must be present to hold her paw. Upon telling my wife of this I was told, "don't do it...give her a chance!"

So, Julie will be coming home late Thursday or Friday morning. And, God willing, I will tell her, "when you make a full recovery I'll take you to a shoe store, or the hall closet, and you can tear up all the shoes you want".

If all goes well for her then we shall smile. And if not, then the parting will be well made.

Thanks, all...

Peter

P.S. You can get a Discover Card (credit card) that has a Golden Retriever's picture on it. I have one...you can get other dog breed images also. It's curious that the Golden on my Discover Card looks exactly like Julie...even the fact that the Golden is laying on a red sofa (which, incidentally- she sort of ripped up).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Thank God you took her in. Meningitis is an infection of the meninges, which cover the brain, and is often curable. 85% is a good success rate.

Did they say if it was viral or bacterial? If bacterial, it should clear up with IV antibiotics. It would be less expensive in the long run to treat her aggressively and properly at this stage, rather than to knock the infection back partially only to have her experience more symptoms. If you have an academic veterinary school nearby, i would highly recommend taking the scans and the treatment plan, and if they have any material left over, asking them to send a sample of the CSF and getting a second opinion. If she needs IV antibiotics, they will be in a position to administer those.

I hope she has a speedy and complete recovery.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Presently, the doctor is putting her on a steroid, Prednisone, to help regain her strength. As to the treatment, I don't know but will surely hear about it tomorrow, Thursday, or Friday morning.

We don't know what kind of Meningitis it is. I'm learning all of these things as time goes by.

Any minutes that pass by and her heart still beats is a happy day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Presently, the doctor is putting her on a steroid, Prednisone, to help regain her strength. As to the treatment, I don't know but will surely hear about it tomorrow, Thursday, or Friday morning.

We don't know what kind of Meningitis it is. I'm learning all of these things as time goes by.

Any minutes that pass by and her heart still beats is a happy day.
The prednisone will address the inflammation in her brain. I hope she has a speedy recovery.
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top