Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey everyone! My dog Tucker was playing in my yard and somehow tore his ACL. Apparently this is a very common injury- but just because it's common doesn't make it any easier or cheaper to treat!!

A little background: I got Tucker as a puppy from a breeder. I learned though, buying from a breeder certainly does not mean you are getting any "higher quality" dog than if you were to get from a person who just had a random litter. That was actually the difference between my first golden and my second. The first I got from just random people- he was very healthy his whole life. The second I got from a breeder- that's Tucker my current baby. <3 He is perfect in every way except for his legs. When he was a puppy he got elbow dysplasia so bad that he refused to walk and so I got him his $8000 elbow dysplasia surgery- which I am still paying off the Care Credit.

Fast forward 5 1/2 years and he now needs surgery on his torn ACL. He already has hip dyslasia which unfortunately he has had to deal with because there was no way I could afford the surgery. (I feel like such a horrible mom because of that. :crying:) But now, with the torn ACL, he *has* to get knee surgery. From what the vet tells me, and what I've researched- about 50% of dogs that tear their ACL wind up tearing their other ACL as well. Because of that fact, it's important to get surgery as quickly as you can. As the vet stated- if BOTH ACLS go out before I get to fix the first one, I will be left with a 90lb dog that won't be able to get up off the ground. :(

What I'm doing now- until I can get the funds for surgery- is giving him joint supplements and pain meds the vet gave me. My mom bought him a brace so hopefully it will offer more support and keep his knees safe. No more walks :( DEFINITELY no running. I have to walk him out and supervise him when he goes potty to make sure he doesn't take off after a deer or something. On really bad days, we do ice and heat- which he's not too fond of.

Attachments

·
Registered
553 Posts
So sorry to hear about your boy.

Not all breeders are created equal. They can be the worst of the worst and the best of the best. Did Tucker's parents and all of their family members have their elbows x-rayed? Hips? Did they have tests done on eyes and hearts? If not, then this was not a good breeder and you may or may not have been better off getting a dog from a random person. If they did and this still occurred, you got really unlucky. Either way, it's the pits. I wish you all the best!

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
Our Max had TPLO on his left leg in November. He is now back to normal, and we are hoping his right leg will hold up. We are in Southern California, and I shopped around for the surgery, and saved close to $2000. Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts