Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This winter is really wreacking havoc on Ranger's coat/skin. He came to me in May with the itchies but a switch to Orijen fish helped his flaky skin and his scratching (vet checked - no allergies but that's why I originally went with the fish formula). During summer/fall, his coat was glossy and shiny and now...it's dry and dull. His skin is back to flaking and he goes crazy trying to get his lower back scratched.

We live in a really dry climate and I'm sure having a crappy furnace running 24/7 isn't helping his coat. I'm giving him a raw egg once/twice a week and 1000mg of fish/salmon oil a day. I changed the filter in the furnace (more specifically, I put one in since there wasn't one) and am looking at getting a humidifier as well. Anything else I can do?? How much fish oil can a 75 lb dog have a day? It's human grade fish oil capsules and I squeeze the oil onto his food. Any advice welcome! I'm getting desperate!

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Our dogs get two 1000-mg human grade fish oil tablets every day and we have never had problems with dry skin since starting it.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
We invested in a couple of good quality humidifiers this winter when we noticed Brady scratching more, and it's really made a difference (in my skin too!).

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. He's getting 2 fish oil pills a day now and I'm going to get a humidifier this weekend. If that doesn't do the trick, maybe I'll add the olive oil too.

Question about the no baths thing: he hasn't had a bath since last July and is starting to smell so I actually was planning on bathing him soon. For horses, we rinse tails with plain listerine to help itchiness...would that work on a dog or dry his skin out more? Would an oatmeal based shampoo help? Or should I just put up with the doggy smell (which is somewhat hard considering he shares my bed and usually my pillow!)?

I'm so frustrated with this! I think his coat is getting worse every day.

·
Registered
13,732 Posts
I apologize if this has already been covered in a different thread (I did not check), but has his thyroid been checked? a complete panel?

Coat problems, shedding, itchiness etc are frequently thyroid problems.

·
IKE- Canine Blood Donor
12,542 Posts
Ike's been terribly itchy this winter and scratched himself to the point of breaking the skin in a few places. I bathed him in Micro-Tek shampoo and used the micro-tek spray a few times a week on itchy places and he's much better. The itchiness has lessened dramatically and the abrasions are healed. We also run humidifiers and I use fish oil and kelp supplements. I'd recommend the micro-tek shampoo if the itching is very bad. You don't want him causing sores and getting infections.

Oh...the T shirt he's wearing in my signature is how I kept him from getting to himself and scratching. He loved wearing the T and didn't try to scratch when wearing it. When I would remove it, he'd go right back to scratching. This was before I used micro-tek. He didn't need the T after.

·
Registered
89 Posts
When Indie has had itchy/flaky skin I have used an oatmeal shampoo to good effect, it didn't seem to irratate his skin.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
The dull coat maybe due to the fact hes about to shed his winter coat. Gunners coat at the moment is dreadful, I groom him every day and he cant get enough of it. Let us know how he goes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts