Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to find a Golden Retriever breeder in the NH/New England area. So far I've found a bunch of different breeders and ruled out most of them for various reasons. At the moment I'm looking the following:

Highland Goldens in Barnstead, NH
Talent Hill Goldens in Concord, NH
Starquest Golden Retrievers in Goffstown, NH

Does anyone have any info about these breeders as to whether they breed responsibly and have good tempered dogs? I'm looking for a family pet that will have the temperament to be good with kids, cats, and other dogs. While I grew up helping to raise and train my parents dogs this will be my and my husband's first dog. I grew up with Rottweilers and hubby grew up with Collies, but after researching this breed Goldens seem like the best fit for us but we're not really sure where to go from here. Any help or insights would be appreciated!

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Please do have a look around... there is tons of good information here, not only on breeders in New England (use the search bar to find those posts) but also on health checks you should be looking for and what makes a reputable breeder.

Of the breeders you listed, the only one whose name I recognize is Starquest. I don't have time to research them for you at the moment, but someone else might (or I'll try to loop back when I have more time). In the meantime, you may find this thread helpful: Looking For Breeder Advice [New England]

·
Registered
129 Posts
Based on all I've learned here, due to common problems with this breed, at the bare minimum you'll want these health tests:
Hips tested after 24 months
Elbows tested after 24 months
Heart clearance
Eyes tested yearly
This is something that everyone, but especially pet owners, need to look for. This will, on your side, help you ensure that your puppy will be a healthy companion for you and your family for years to come. Of course, you also want to look for a breeder that takes good care of their dogs, and perhaps does something with them, such as a sport, hunting, or conformation. This will help ensure that these dogs should be bred, as they have some special characteristic(s) to pass on and hopefully fit the breed standard as well. I live pretty far away so have no personal experience with these breeders, but here is an "outsider's" prospective:

Starting with Highland Goldens:
From what I can tell,
Sophie of the Glen only has hips tested:

Highland Goldens' Shiloh only has hips tested:

I can't find Miles Davis of the Highlands on OFA or K9data.

Talent Hill Goldens claims they do hips, eyes, and heart. Based off this statement, I assume they don't do elbows. Make sure "hips" means after 24 months, not preliminary hips which are done before the dog is 24 months old. You will want the dog's hip "grade" to be excellent, good, or fair. There are no registered names posted for their dogs "Perri" ans "Kolby", so I cannot verify these claims on OFA or K9data. You will want to ask for the registered names of the parents to confirm the health tests done. I would personally pick a different breeder unless there is more to be seen once you find out the registered names.

Starquest:
They claim "Our dogs are evaluated and have attained all required clearances for genetic diseases before they are bred. Clearances include: OFA Hips and OFA Elbows, Eye clearance by a board certified Ophthalmologist, Heart clearance by a qualified Cardiologist, as well as Thyroid testing." You will want to confirm this, as I can't verify all of the information online.

Sunstruck's Starquest Sea Of Blue CGC: Good hips, normal elbows, they claim heart and eyes on K9data, but I can't confirm, so you will want to verify a heart clearance and a recent eye clearance (eyes should be done each year).

Goodtime's A Kiss Is Just A Kiss At Pathfinder CGC: Good hips, normal elbows, they claim heart and eyes on K9data, but I can't confirm, so you will want to verify a heart clearance and a recent eye clearance (eyes should be done each year).

Starquest's Song Of Summer: Good hips, normal elbows, but nothing about a heart clearance or eye clearance posted.

Starquest's Touch Of Spice: No health tests posted on OFA or K9data.

I would avoid Highland Goldens based on this information.
Talent Hill lacks the dogs' full names to verify health tests, but based on what they say, they don't do elbows.
Starquest I'm not sure on. You'll need more information on if the first three have their hearts tested and and up-to-date eye clearances. The last dog has nothing I can verify.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Highland does not do all clearances.
I have not heard of Talent Hill
Starquest always seemed to do all clearances when I had looked at their dogs in the past so I would start with them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts