Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at breeder lists and posts on this forum a lot lately to help identify reputable golden retriever breeders, but with the pandemic it seems that everyone else has had the same idea. My fiancé and I have reached out to a number of breeders but keep hearing that most have all of the puppies reserved more than a year in advance.

We're willing to travel anywhere within a ~day's drive from our home in the Bay Area, so open to almost anywhere in CA, western Nevada, or maybe southern Oregon.

We were really hoping to take a puppy home sooner than a year from now (we're really ready anytime), but aren't willing to compromise on ethical conditions, health clearances, and a reasonable contract.

Does anyone know of breeders in that range that have upcoming litters or have any guidance? I've already tried searching through the AKC puppy listings and contacted our local GRCA branch (sadly no response).

Thank you!

·
Registered
9,833 Posts
You want hips,elbows after 24 months of age, heart by cardiologist and eyes within last 12 mon.
DNA is not a basis for in/out of a breeding program. Sire 'Buddy" has not got close to what he should have to be used- Pedigree: Oc English Cream Golden's Buddy YET.... he has been bred multiple times.
Chloe- structure is not a pretty one, she probably should not be used based solely on that. Pedigree: OC English Cream Golden's Chloe and she also is lacking clearances.
I believe this is just another BYB with a website. Clearly doing the right thing for the breed is not the focus.

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
DNA tested, Fully DNA tested, DNA Tested for over 190 conditions and similar are all phases that poor quality breeders use to mislead buyers. DNA tests are great tools and yes there are several (the three PRAs, NCL and Ichthyosis) that are specifically important to Goldens and responsible breeders won’t breed with out knowing one parent is normal/clear for these conditions. BUT, responsible breeders will only mention DNA after or at the same time as the core four health certifications of hip, elbows, eyes and hearts. Those core four are the make its or break its for health testing breeding dogs. If all you are hearing or seeing from a breeder is DNA testing, that is an attempt to distract you from the missing critical tests.

This video tutorial should help teach you the skills to check on health certifications so you don’t become victim to meaningless marketing or breeders who make false or misleading claims about health certifications. You can also post potential puppy paren’s registration names on the forum and some will give you a double check like Prism did above.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts