Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
Thanks for letting me on here.
I am looking to become a first time Golden Retriever Buyer. I have had a Lab and a Great Pyrones in the past. The lab was a mix that was picked up on the side of the road and ended up being a great friend for 13 years. The Pyrones was my wifes and was part of the family for 9 years.
I ran across this site when researching a certain breeder. I have read the thread about breaders who do not follow the GRCA standards for health testing and agree 100 % that its a vital part of getting a good dog.
I happen to like the look of the English Creme type Goldens have heard many comments about the the term "English Creme" and "rare" being warning signs. I do not intend to show my dog but I want to ensure that I have a good quality "partner in crime" for many years to come. Can anyone recommend a breeder that meets the GRCA standards that sells "English creme" or a a dog that has that type of look to me.
Thanks
Jack

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Hi Jack,

Welcome to the board.

I just met a breeder this week in a store outside of Kansas City, MO. She had a female Skye with her and one of her 8 week old puppies. They were beautiful and very sociable. I really liked her a lot. She does not do English cremes and specifically said that when I mentioned how light her dogs were, but her dogs were a light golden color if that is what you are looking for.

She is Christine Yohe of Heritage Goldens. She is very active in the golden retriever clubs in Kansas City. She shows her dogs in confirmation, agility, and hunting - she does a lot of training with her dogs. Her website is very impressive, especially everything she goes through to make sure her puppies get a good start in life. She also does all the necessary testing.

If I were looking for another golden puppy, I would definitely contact her.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
You are also pretty close to Pacific, MO where Dirk's Fund is. They are a an impressive golden retriever rescue. We rescued our MacKenzie from there. They often do get puppies, and some very gorgeous adults of all shades of gold.

Rescue is not what everybody wants to do, but I just wanted you to know that this rescue is near you.

Dirks Fund - Adoptables

They don't always have everybody listed, so it might be worth contacting them.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Hey Jack! I just got my prefect little man from a fantastic breeder in The northern part of Va, almost West VA... She is very patient and informative and easily contacted.. All of her dogs are GORGEOUS and their health certs are posted under the individual dog! No secrets there! She sends you home with vaccination records, puppy food coupons, a puppy book, both parents health certs (including THEIR history as well) and she takes amazing care of her beautiful dogs! Highly recommended! Oh ya, she DOES have an English Cream sire named Noah and he is insanely handsome!!!!!!!!!!! My Kahuna is an offspring of his! Do your research and know what temperment you want cuz high energy goldens can be a HANDFUL and I'd hate to see you become overwhelmed!

Home

Good luck to you!!!!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did a search on Church Mountain and found a 20 page post outlining potential problems. I think I'll keep looking. Any other breeders that could pass the forum test :)

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Where did you find this post????? I just got a pup from them and would like to see it! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Hey Jack I just Googled them in a panic and all I found were great reviews... I'm really curious to see where you found the negative ones

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
There is nothing wrong with having a preference... everyone does....

the problem is that the words "creme, cream" platinum etc etc have become a marketing ploy amongst people who are trying to make a buck off the backs of their dogs.

I would suggest the website below as a good place to start...
English Goldens in North America - Litters - Breeders - Stud Dogs
the majority of these folks are breeders of "English" goldens but are reputable responsible breeders... they might also be able to tell you who else might have a litter in your area that may not be on the list. I would start here....

there is nothing wrong with a preference but when you are looking for an "English" dog it is going to be a challenge to separate the good from the bad breeders and with that being said stay away from anyone that uses the words rare, platinum... or advertises their dogs based on color or colour...

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Thanks so much! That actually put my mind at ease cuz I've obviously been there and met all of their beautiful dogs and came home with AKC papers and health certs on each parent going back multiple generations... Nothing there but concerned people, but I don't believe their fears are founded... Best of luck to you and your search Jack!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts