Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Duke is 3 and just recently lost energy - is not excited about walks, doesn't greet me at the door when I get home any more and seems to always be tired. Any thoughts? No change in eating habits or bowel movements etc.:confused: - by the way I am new to this, so please be patient

·
Registered
10,565 Posts
Welcome to the Board! I am sorry that your introduction has to be with a sick dog-that is never fun.

Has Duke been seen by his vet? And if so, what does the vet think? What tests have been run?

Two things always come to my mind first in this type of situation-low thyroid or tick disease, both fairly easy to test for. There are other things as well though, dysplasia, arthritis, and cancer. These are a little tougher and scarier.

If Duke has not seen his vet, I think this would be my first stop.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

My first thought was low thyroid, my second a tapeworm. Our golden got a tapeworm from some road kill. His stools never changed but his energy level started going down (he's very high energy so it was noticeable). While we were testing for the thyroid I discovered tape eggs in his stool. He was put on thyroid meds and treated for the tape and his energy came right back up for us.

A vet exam is definitely in order though!

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Have you changed his daily pattern recently? I'd get him a vet check if you have not done so already to get him checked out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts