Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My golden is blowing has been blowing his coat for what seems like weeks now. I can't seem to keep up. Even brushing him daily doesn't seem to help at all. I am thinking maybe I need a better brush...I think what I have is a slicker brush. My dog trainer said they make a tool that goes on your vacuum that you can use to suck the hair off your dog..

Please I need advice. I am 8 months pregnant and expecting baby #1 in a month or so. I am trying to get the house clean and organized before then, but this dog hair is rediculous!

·
Premium Member
17,931 Posts
An undercoat rake will do wonders, the slicker brush probably isn't getting all the loose hair as effectively as the rake will.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It's called the human nesting syndrome :)

Our Golden has started to lose his summer coat in the last couple of days. Riley has been getting brushed everyday. First with a slicker, than with a rake, then again with a slicker. After all the brushing we vacuum the entire house!! We cant even touch him without dropping hair everywhere. Apparently if you have a shop vac and use the blow setting it also helps. My daughter sometimes vacuums Riley if he gets in the way while she's vacuuming the floors ;) He doesn't like it too much. All the hair is just part of having a Golden...maybe after your baby is born you wont notice the shedding so much??!!

·
IKE- Canine Blood Donor
12,542 Posts
Congrats on the baby.

Before you try to vac the dog, make sure he's not scared of it. I used to vac my first golden all the time, he loved it. Ike however, hates it. THe noise scares him. I used the brush attachment to the vac, nothing fancy, and it did a great job. I even used it on my own head to see why he loved it so much. It really does feel like a massage, very soothing.

·
Registered
168 Posts
My dog runs away from the hoover, I've no chance of using it on him:)
I bought a Furminator but didn't find it any good on Charlie, so I bought a Mikki undercoat rake and it has worked wonders, it might be worth putting him into the groomers the week before the baby comes too.
Good luck with the baby....

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I use a rake, followed by a narrow tooth comb.
We are combing him out twice a day. After being combed out this morning, he looked like a partially shorn sheep. I combed him out again a few minutes ago and he looks much better.
For some reason, the hair comes out much easier when he has had a bath or been swimming.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the advice. He is about two years old now, and I have never seen him shed soo much before! We have two goldens and thank god our female has short slick hair. she barelyt sheds at all.

·
Shoregold
670 Posts
I recommend a undercoat rake. I do not like the Furminator for the goldens it breaks their top coat. When they are shedding I find a nice warm bath to loosen up the coat and a forced air blow dryer made for the dogs really gets it out. I think all golden owners should have a good dog dryer. Don't use a personal hair dyers since they put off to much heat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts