Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:uhoh:Starting on Friday Chloe, would have diahrea at late night only and only every other night. She was at the vet and checked out wonderfully, I am only waited on a fecal test because of this. I don't what to make of it she seems so normal other than this and is always so the next day. Help!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Is she getting treats? Could be any allergy or sensitivity to something she is eating. I would try only letting her have her food and water NOTHING else and see if that changes anything. If it doesn't and fecal exams come back neg then I would try a different food. Hope this helps.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
How old is Chloe? If you have just gotten her then even the change in water could loosen her stools. Really watch the stools, cause some things like coccidia and giardia which are common in our pups sometimes don't show up at the exam. If the stools get really stinky, off colored (yellowish or deep red) or have the consistancy of pudding, call your Vet and let them know. Both of these are easy to treat but giardia can be stubborn and take more than one treatment. If all is fine you might try adding canned real pumpkin (not the kind with spice - you need REAL pumpkin) just a spoonfull with each feeding to firm up the stool. Good luck, but watch those stools, they tell you a lot about what is going on.

We need pictures of your little one!

Reactions: DebP

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is very stinky from pudding to water and I've only seen brown color but it is very dark out.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Coop had some bouts with loose stools about that age so we took a fecal in. Coccidia, so with Albon (from your Vet) it quickly cleared. Remember fecals can come back negative, even if they have it! Some Vets ask for multiple samples to get a good diagnosis, but again, the stools will tell you a lot. You might want to go to the Vets and get a little container to get a sample of the loose stool and have them recheck. Is she eatting well, acting normal in play except for this? Again, at that age it could be anything from something she ate to the change from her birth home to one of the listed above. I would watch and take another sample in or call your Vet if it continues. Too much diarrhea can really dehydrate a young puppy quickly.

Reactions: DebP

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Get a sample into the Vet as soon as you can. It will take the worry from you and you can start a GOOD treatment plan. Sounds like it is more than just a normal change from her birth home. Remember most things are easy to treat, but the key is starting early. Coccidia usually is dark and sometimes bloody (red-dark stool) stinky, whereas giardia is sometimes yellow'ish, gooie and more jell like. But all our little ones are in danger of Parvo until they complete ALL their shots and that stool is something you will never forget once you see it and smell it. Get a sample into your vet - TODAY so she can quickly get back to normal. Good luck and let us know.

And Please I am not a Vet at all! I am just telling you things I have seen not only in my own dogs, but at the shelter I give time to. Just trying to help, but the bottom line is you need to have her stools re-checked and follow your Vets instructions. Diarrhea in our young pups needs to be monitored and acted upon quickly.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
EWwww, she had an accident in cleaning it, it was brown pudding with what looked like gelatin in it.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
From one Deb to another - get a sample into your Vet! Sorry your little one is going through this. Hopefully you can start treatment today. I will watch this thread during the day (when I should be working). Let us know.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Vet doctor is going to call me back, I'm going to see if they will deworm her today yesterday they said if it continues they would. I'll let you know.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
DebP

DebP

You should definitely take a sample to vet so they can test it and rule out anything serious like Parvo.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
If she is wormy you should be able to see this in her stools. From the red color and consistancy you describe, I would suspect something else. Word of caution, don't let your Vet's office dismiss this. I know they are busy, but in our babies things happen very fast. The longer treatment is put off the weaker the dog and the problem has usually escallated (sp?), pups can go down very fast. I am in Texas where Parvo is rampant. I also know that 24 hours can be life or death to a pup with this. Only you know what your little girl is going through, just do what your heart tells you is right, but again, if you are worried, don't let your Vet's office dismiss this or put it off for later in the week.

Vets know so much more than we, but I KNOW MY DOG better than they do. Puppies just need help faster and I would want some answers...now! Most things are simple, but no need to let your baby girl be uncomfortable any longer than she has to.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts