Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone, I'm super new to the forum but have been obsessively reading everything I can get my hands on in preparation for bringing home our first Golden! This forum has been so helpful in educating us about reputable breeders, titers, spay/neuter philosophy, nutrition, etc. and I feel so much more prepared now to find the right puppy and be able to care for it properly.

I'd love some guidance on these pairings and breeders we're considering from the EGRC and PRGRCO referral lists:

GC's Goji Berry SR99457110 x GC's Sweet Dreams Are Made of This AKC SR98366805 Pedigree: G and Annie

GC's Goji Berry SR99457110 x Gc's Raspberry Parfait In The Summertime SR78839301

Heaven Scent Autumn's Harvest Moon SR95928506 x Heaven Scent Delight Me With A Kiss SR94548809

I would also like a little more insight about PRGCO if possible because it seems like the majority of their recommended breeders have a lot of dogs and very frequent litters, and I thought that was frowned upon?

Lastly, I know it's a long shot but if anyone knows of a good breeder in WA/OR that might have puppies available to go home at the end of June or beginning of July (laid back family pets, not field/hunting) please PM me their info and why you recommend them

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
GC's Goji Berry and GC's Sweet Dreams Are Made of This are both ichthyosis carriers - which means some of their puppies will be carriers and some will be affected by it. So that would be a no for me.

Raspberry Parfait's page does not indicate whether she has been tested for ich, so I'd want to know her status.

The two Heaven Scent dogs seems to both have all the clearances.

Reactions: Sarahk2882

·
Kristy
10,064 Posts
I would also like a little more insight about PRGCO if possible because it seems like the majority of their recommended breeders have a lot of dogs and very frequent litters, and I thought that was frowned upon?

Lastly, I know it's a long shot but if anyone knows of a good breeder in WA/OR that might have puppies available to go home at the end of June or beginning of July (laid back family pets, not field/hunting) please PM me their info and why you recommend them
Welcome to the forum, I don't know the specific breeders you are referring to who are breeding frequently, but 'frequently' can be open to opinion. I might think that more than one litter a year is too much but someone who is really into showing might think that 4 or 5 litters a year is just fine because they are working on competing with their dogs and wanting to try a few different breedings to see which combinations are best. I might think that all the dogs need to live in the house with the family but some other people might think it's ok if some sleep in an outdoor kennel as long as they have other dogs for company. See how it is hard to know for sure until you talk to the breeder or have a referral from someone who you trust? People who keep their dogs as family can't have puppies as often, it's just too many dogs. You have to be prepared to wait a while if you want a small breeder. The breeder who produces more litters may not give their dogs as much personal attention as you'd like but maybe the dogs have a good life and get exercise and training and are happy. You have to do the research and then decide what you are ok with personally. Golden clubs can refer you but it's never a guarantee that the breeders are your ideal situation. It's up to you to take the list and then ask a lot of questions.

Have you tried using the search feature at the top corner of the page? You can use it to bring up previous threads on any topic. Try looking for "breeder Oregon" or breeder Northwest etc. and see if it will bring up more information on breeders you are questioning. You can also use facebook as a resource.

You mentioned that you are looking for a golden that is a more of a laid back pet, not field lines. Please try to go and meet some people at shows if you can and meet more dogs. Goldens were originally bred as hunting dogs, they are made to go all day. Some breeders are breeding out those traits by focusing on looks alone with breeding choices. But you will find plenty of Goldens who are extremely busy and not always as easy to train even if their breeders are not breeding for field work. One of the best things about Goldens is that they are easy to train, they are great dogs if they receive consistent and regular training for the first couple of years and daily aerobic exercise - this is key. Even dogs not from field lines need this and you'll want to discuss your expectations with any breeder. Best of luck with your search.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your help. When I posted I wasn't sure if the K9 info was accurate (another breeder told me pretty much anyone can go in and change things so you never know) but then I remembered I could view the change history and sure enough the breeder is the one who had listed that info, so it is correct.

Raspberry is being tested but doesn't have results yet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the forum, I don't know the specific breeders you are referring to who are breeding frequently, but 'frequently' can be open to opinion. I might think that more than one litter a year is too much but someone who is really into showing might think that 4 or 5 litters a year is just fine because they are working on competing with their dogs and wanting to try a few different breedings to see which combinations are best. I might think that all the dogs need to live in the house with the family but some other people might think it's ok if some sleep in an outdoor kennel as long as they have other dogs for company. See how it is hard to know for sure until you talk to the breeder or have a referral from someone who you trust? People who keep their dogs as family can't have puppies as often, it's just too many dogs. You have to be prepared to wait a while if you want a small breeder. The breeder who produces more litters may not give their dogs as much personal attention as you'd like but maybe the dogs have a good life and get exercise and training and are happy. You have to do the research and then decide what you are ok with personally. Golden clubs can refer you but it's never a guarantee that the breeders are your ideal situation. It's up to you to take the list and then ask a lot of questions.

Have you tried using the search feature at the top corner of the page? You can use it to bring up previous threads on any topic. Try looking for "breeder Oregon" or breeder Northwest etc. and see if it will bring up more information on breeders you are questioning. You can also use facebook as a resource.

You mentioned that you are looking for a golden that is a more of a laid back pet, not field lines. Please try to go and meet some people at shows if you can and meet more dogs. Goldens were originally bred as hunting dogs, they are made to go all day. Some breeders are breeding out those traits by focusing on looks alone with breeding choices. But you will find plenty of Goldens who are extremely busy and not always as easy to train even if their breeders are not breeding for field work. One of the best things about Goldens is that they are easy to train, they are great dogs if they receive consistent and regular training for the first couple of years and daily aerobic exercise - this is key. Even dogs not from field lines need this and you'll want to discuss your expectations with any breeder. Best of luck with your search.
Sorry I didn't explain clearly on 'frequently'... what I meant was multiple litters on the ground at the same time, or one right after the other. I appreciate your examples of some breeder differences that would just be preferential, I had mistakenly thought there was a clear criteria I should be looking for and that all the breeders on the club lists would be pretty much the same, but as I speak to various breeders I'm learning that is definitely not the case!

Unfortunately I don't know anyone who has a Golden or who I could trust to give a referral, that's the main reason I've been reading through the forum. I've searched every which way I can think of for breeders around me, and as I go through the club lists I search each of the names here as well to try to see what experiences others may have had with them. We definitely don't want a BYB, but we're also not looking for top-tier breeders with waiting lists (I know there are good reasons, but I can't believe those are the *only* breeders worth considering). Surely there's an in-between for people like me who just want health clearances and structurally sound dogs who are in line with the breed standard??

When I say laid-back, I mean 'for a Golden'. I know they need lots of training and exercise, and I am looking forward to doing both. But I'm also trying to be realistic. We don't hunt and aren't planning to show. We don't live out in the country and can't provide hours of swimming or long hikes every day, so I know going into it I do not want a dog that has a lot of drive or boundless energy, I want one that leans more toward mellow, cuddly, and happy to be at home with us.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A couple more if anyone wants to give input?

Heaven Scent Autumn's Harvest Moon AKC SR95928506 x Heaven Scent Lady With Out Regrets AKC SR90832502

Heaven Scent Autumn's Harvest Moon AKC SR95928506 x CH Shyan's Heaven Scent Little Girl AKC SR87491101

Heaven Scent Autumn's Harvest Moon AKC SR95928506 x Sadie Mae Kloer AKC SR85327101

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
Chuckanut Goldens is in WA - ask them?

·
Registered
8,996 Posts
If you're in Oregon, there are two breeders in Sherwood who always have all their clearances in place and are very involved in the breed- Linda Bell (Sorrento Goldens) and Emilee Edling (Meritorious Goldens).
Both compete, Emilee more than Linda recently but she's younger lol...

and both have lovely dogs. I second the Chuckanut option too.

·
Registered
8,996 Posts
Everything posted is verifiable on OFA. FYI hips and elbows are done at the same time more than 95% of the time (last time I asked OFA which was several years ago. It may be more now)
so if hips are there and elbows have no number, it's more likely than not that elbows failed. Same V/V for hips- if there is an elbow number and no hip number.

https://www.ofa.org/advanced-search?f=sr&appnum=1928965 Harvest Moon- all clearances are in place but eyes are technically out of date in May- probably done and not posted yet I'd guess. The pedigree is kinda lackluster and none of the grandparents of this dog have any OFA page.
Half sib on sire side w HD, full sib w HD. He's got two produce w moderate and another (Lady of honor) who appears to have failed hips.

https://www.ofa.org/advanced-search?f=sr&appnum=1574911 Lady without regrets- I would avoid this breeding personally, because of the OFA page- it doesn't bother me a ton that she is sired by her maternal grandsire, assuming he is a correct dog- but she has a sibling w HD, and that sire/grandsire (TucknRoll) has no elbow clearance and likely did not pass elbows.

That's the first breeding. Second is same sire probably an attractive girl- she's a CH - https://www.ofa.org/advanced-search?f=sr&appnum=1794331 with a more predictable pedigree.
Third is https://www.ofa.org/advanced-search?f=sr&appnum=1785739 to same sire- eyes are way out of date, her sire is Tuck and Roll who appears to have failed elbows, and her dam appears to have failed hips. The sire has three half sibs who didn't pass hips.

Multiple litters- I prefer having two at a time. It's nice in case someone isn't a great mom, or has a huge litter, and depending on what year it is, I might have to have a last litter from one girl @ same time as a first litter from another. There are many years I go two years without any litters and then I might have multiple litters the same year/same time. I think it all depends on the breeder. It also is not a great thing to use the same stud dog on all the breedings, I cannot imagine such a dog that would be stellar for all 3 of the above girls.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
FYI hips and elbows are done at the same time more than 95% of the time (last time I asked OFA which was several years ago. It may be more now)
so if hips are there and elbows have no number, it's more likely than not that elbows failed. Same V/V for hips- if there is an elbow number and no hip number.
Thank you so much for explaining this!!! I have been trying to look everything up on K9data and OFA but I am still learning & couldn't understand how it was obvious to people that a dog had failed when there were no test results to be seen :doh: Makes so much more sense now!

Also I'm not actually in Oregon, I'm in Tacoma, WA (Puget Sound area) but I was branching out to OR in my search because we'd really like to take home a Golden within the next 3-4 weeks... I know it's not likely, but it's also not completely unheard of! (wish me luck :laugh:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts