Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently discover a black nail like horn on my dog's paw pad which is called cutaneous horn it growed so fast that i just can't believe myself how i couldn't notiece it until know anyone else's dog suffered this ? How dangerous can it be ?

·
Noreaster
2,253 Posts
How old is your dog? As we age, humans and dogs enter the Weird Skin Stuff years. My hound boy developed a completely benign growth on his hock that, until we had it removed, looked like he had shoved a golf ball down his sock. I won't get personal about some of the stuff my husband and I have had...but all completely harmless.

If your vet isn't worried, you shouldn't either...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well the vet doesn't have a clue it could be a tumor or can be caused by papilloma or something entirely different they decided to remove it and send it to a pathology lab. today they remove it the surgery went well she is fine the results will be back soon but i am freaking out here because it growed so fast we believe sometime in between 2.5-1 month that is why they think it can be serious like a malign tumor

·
Noreaster
2,253 Posts
I did some research because this is new to me and it seems like a Keratoacanthoma is considered benign? She is young for one... I wonder if that isn't part of the reason it grew so fast? Everything at that age is growing fast, right?

When will you get the results back?

·
Noreaster
2,253 Posts
Oh, excellent. I've been watching hoping for an update.

Hooray! A round of cookies for all of you!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Not my golden puppy but my jack russell puppy had one on his front paw, between his claws. The vet explained that it was a keratin growth much like their claws and our nails. He put Phoenix on a 2 week round of Amoxil and Cetriclenz shampoo & conditioner. We would soak, rinse & dry the growth. It eventually fell off and he hasn't had a recurrence.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I recently discover a black nail like horn on my dog's paw pad which is called cutaneous horn it growed so fast that i just can't believe myself how i couldn't notiece it until know anyone else's dog suffered this ? How dangerous can it be ?
My 2 year old pup currently has the same 'horn'. Grew so fast. Vet sent me to veterinarian surgeon who wants to amputate part of her digit to remove it. He says otherwise it will grow back. Wondering what you did and if it worked. Thanks. Shelley

1 - 15 of 15 Posts