Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
YIKES! All of the sudden I am having some issues with my almost 9 month old golden retriever puppy Ellie. She's been fine in crate her entire life up to this point. In last few months on a few occasions she has gotten diarrhea while in her crate and it is paniced her to try to get out. Two times before she has tried to pry her head out of the wire crate but nothing as serious as this morning. This morning when I went to get her out of her crate, her entire head was poking through, stuck as she tried to escape all nighit. She had torn a huge hole in the carpet in panic mode from when her head was out. I tried for 45 minutes to get her out and had to resort to wire clippers to cut the crate.

On the few occasions when I've tested her out of the crate alone, she had one terrible slip up where she destroyed a huge section of my carpet.

I have no idea what to do. I simply can't risk her trying to escape crate (if she has a tummy issue or something random) and find her dead in crate!

HELP!

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
I would stop crating her, something is causing her to panic, and yes, she could end up dead or severely injured trying to escape. This is why I always have the crate in the bedroom, then I know if there is trouble brewing and the dog needs help (is vomitting for example) or the dog needs to go out.
Where is her crate located? It is too far away if you can not hear her when she is doing this, there has to be a fair amount of noise. Could you move it into your bedroom or somewhere close enough to the bedroom that you would hear her if she needs you?
At 9 months old it should be fairly safe to keep her loose in your puppyproofed bedroom at night, give her a dog bed to sleep on, confined to the room with a baby gate or close the door, again, then you would know if she is having problems.

·
gone
1,443 Posts
What type of crate allows her to get her head between the wire? The crate we have cannot be bent let alone get the head between the bars or be cut with simple wire cutters.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts