Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am based in the SF area and looking to get a puppy from a reputable breeder. I found a breeder that seems a bit mysterious and was hoping someone could help me decide if I'm being overly cautious or not!
Here is their website: Seashore Blonde Golden Retriever Puppies, San Francisco Bay Area
I found her original listing on the AKC marketplace. The website is sometimes unpublished because she "hates having to tell people who just had their dog pass that she doesn't have any puppies available." When speaking to her on the phone she asked all the appropriate questions about if we'd had a puppy before, where we live, how we would train it, etc. The only thing is that her website doesn't have a link to the parents health clearances or AKC registration. Does just being listed on the AKC marketplace make her a reputable breeder? Any advice or insight you can offer would be so helpful!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I never refer anyone to AKC Marketplace. AKC maintains a registry of pure bred dogs and their accomplishments, nothing more. If your looking for a reliable referral contact your local GRCA (Golden Retriever Club of America’s)

In a quick look at this website it would not be a breeder that I considered. I don’t like it when they don’t provide the AKC Registered names of their dogs. They talk about titles in the lines. These titles could be 5 generations back. That means nothing about the pair being bred.

If you can get the registered names of the Sire and Dam and post them here someone can give you a lot more information.

I’m not able to really dive in and investigate at the moment but my gut feeling is I wouldn’t like what I found.

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
Not a good breeder. I have been in dogs an awfully long time and I dk what the heck it even means to state 'welcome a nest of puppies' and the other flowery language they use to cover up the fact they have no real involvement in dogs besides using the uterus without any bothering to do more than DNA testing. And they copy paste that info, I doubt they even understand some of the stuff they have up aren't Golden diseases.. but DNA testing is so much icing on the cake AFTER the rest of the testing one should do. The page that kills me most, though? The listing of the dogs behind their dogs, probably WAAAAY way behind, that they had zero to do with and whose genes are very diluted IF they are even behind her dogs. Breeders who do not have their dogs registered names on their site are looking to hide the truth of their dogs. That's just it.

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
I wish you still had the marketplace link. No matter that they do no verification of safety of the litters they advertise, they do at least require sire and dam reg names.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am in a similar situation looking for a reputable breeder. We have had two goldens and this puppy will be our third. I used the local GRCA website puppy referral for both dogs. Our first dog had issues with thyroid and GI problems his whole life. Our second and current dog also has GI issues, allergy, and has aged well beyond his years. Although he is only 8 years old he acts much older.

I was thinking of contacting breeders from dog shows ie Westminster and placing myself on a very long wait list. Does anyone have any other sources for a reputable breeder?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts