Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Help! Chewing and Destruction...

774 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Doodle 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I am here to get HELP!
Hula is one year old and came to live with us in July (she was a rescue) Her first month she was perfect! Potty trained and very well behaved, no jumping, no biting, no barking.
Then this month, she has started chewing things. It started with underwear, then the straps of my bras, now she has graduated to pillows, other clothing, my sons toys... i don't know what to do! HELP.

#2 ·
The first weeks are the honeymoon period, as the dog gets comfortable & adapts, it will start testing its limits. Consistency, patience, positive reinforcement/re-direction & lots of supervision. Even though your pup is a year, she is still very much a pup. If you don't want it in your pups mouth, make sure it's not accessible to her. Good chew toys are durable Nylabones, antlers (make sure she is supervised), stuffed kong.

#3 ·
How much exercise is she getting each day? Is she getting plenty of walks and time to run and stretch her legs outside? Dogs usually chew and are destructive when they are bored and have nothing else to do. Have you been crating her when you are unable to watch her and at night while you're asleep so that she can't chew on inappropriate things? Whenever you catch her chewing on something she should't be, give her a quick and firm NO and then give her a toy or a bone to chew on instead. Goldens are a very smart breed and she will gradually start to learn what is okay to chew on and what is not. It might also be helpful to enroll in a good training class with her.

#4 ·
I agree with SheetsSM regarding "puppy proofing" your house and providing lots of appropriate toys and constant supervision until she proves unquestionably she can be trusted. Also, makes sure she gets plenty of exercise. Many times dogs will be destructive if they don't have the proper vent for all that energy. She is also an adolescent where she will test her boundaries for probably the next year. Patience, training, guidance and lots of love are key.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.