Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Astro's mom
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I haven't been participating so much here, but after reading dozens of threads I decided it would be better to write and get some advice, instead of getting desperate all by myself.

My puppy Astro is only 17 weeks old (actually today is his 4mo birthday) and he is our first dog. I live in Sweden (am from Brazil) and I am a wedding photographer - meaning I spend the whole day alone sitting in front of the computer editing photos. I have always had cats before me and my husband decided a dog would be an amazing company for me and would help improve my health. We go out 4 or 5 times a day, walk on the forest, we started puppy class, I even took Astro with me one day to a photo session :) I am completely in love with him.

Anyway, last week he ate something in the forest and started having diarrhea. He was acting completely normal except for waking me up several times during the night to go outside. I got super worried and decided to give him rice and burger for a few days. Of course I did it all wrong and instead of suspending all food for 24h, I simply switched in the morning (after 12h without food during night). I gave him 3 days of rice and burger and by the end of the 3rd day I started mixing a little of his kibble back (my husband was of the opinion I should have kept giving him his normal food since the beginning). Once again I think I did it all wrong, because in 2 days he was back eating his food and now I read the transition should have taken 5 to 7 days... During the morning his poop was always looking better, and at night it would get worse - but things were slowly improving. Yesterday I bought a tube of pro-kolin (it's a swedish brand, but it contains probiotics, prebiotics, kaolin and pectin) and started giving it to him, 1ml 3x a day, and at night I could see a huge improvement. I also thought I was doing something good to him and I have him 1/2 a banana. With the peel. And only after he finished eating I remembered to check on the internet if it was safe to give him the banana peel - I read lots of mixed opinions, so I don't really know for sure.

Then this morning at 6.30am he seemed so hungry, and he usually eats at 8am only, so I gave him a little more banana without the peel this time and we went for a walk. He pooped in the morning and it looked so much better - still soft, but muuuch better. Later I offered him his usual food and he didn't touched. Astro is a little vacuum cleaner and he has never ever rejected food - or anything else that can make it's way into his mouth, he eats grass, earth, wood, paper, but little by little getting better. I thought it was very weird but I assumed he was satisfied with the banana he ate before.

Later in the morning we went for a walk and he didn't want to leave the house, I had to carry him down the stairs. That was weird too, as usually he runs down the stairs and loves going for a walk around our neighbourhood... he seemed slower and less interested in things but at the same time he had the happy tail and was looking normal to me. When we were on our way back home he vomited (or regurgitated?) the banana. That was like 10 in the morning. We came home, he seemed hungry and at 10.30 I offered him a little portion of his kibble, which he happily accepted. I felt relieved - the dog was normal, after all.

But then, of course, I was wrong. I noticed he was looking "tired" again, lethargic. I tried inviting him to play and at first he wanted to, but after 2 seconds he was not interested anymore. He is on the floor, and he keeps changing position or moving to other locations... 2 hours after eating he vomited the food and that's when I decided to suspend all food for 24h. I tried taking him out two times and he refused, so the third time I carried him outside and he just laid down on the grass and only moved from there when I opened the door to our building, and he came directly home. He responds if I call him, his eyes are bright, gums are pink, he looks healthy, but he doesnt want to eat, drink water or do anything, and he is making some noises that I understand are from pain... Right now he seemed to have managed to sleep, and that should be good too, no?

I have been touching his belly from time to time - and he even laid down on his back and stretched the whole body, which I think is a good sign - and it is not dilated. There was something a little harder there, but now I can't feel it anymore... To make things worse, I don't know how to drive and my husband is in Germany and will only come home tonight. It is now 5.10pm in Sweden and he should be home by 8pm, and we can take Astro to the emergency vet by then. However, if you think I should be even more worried than I already am, I will call a taxi and fly to the vet immediately.

Right now I am feeling like the worst dog owner that has ever existed. I had very good intentions and just wanted to help him, but I am afraid all of this is the banana's fault (or the banana's peel), in which case it is actually my fault. If I could switch places with him, I would :(

·
Registered
991 Posts
I would not wait he could be blocked, if you can get to the vet faster it is always better then too late.

Reactions: Gwen_Dandridge

·
Maxwell & Ruby's PR Agent
1,024 Posts
I'm sorry that Astro is sick.

First off, take a deep breath--you're going to get through this. Secondly, it doesn't matter whose fault this is, so try to stop beating yourself up.

I think I would wait until your husband comes home, and go the two of you together. It's only 3 hours until he arrives, and this has gone on for several days--I would think Astro would be ok to wait. This way you're not alone, you will have someone with you to discuss what's best for Astro. In the meantime I wouldn't introduce any more new foods! LOL!

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
How is your pup doing?

·
Astro's mom
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am so happy to let you know Astro is doing great!!!

I decided to wait for my husband and soon after I finished writing on the forum, I noticed the dog was getting a little better. He kept sleeping until 7.30pm, but he wasn't making any noises anymore and he seemed to be in a deep sleep. His belly was very soft as it should be too. When my husband got home the dog got super happy, super excited and we decided it was a good moment to take him out and voilà!!!

He pooped something very weird, it looked like some cotton yarn balls with 3 cm diameter, but I'm pretty sure it's not yarn. He pooped one more of those balls now at 11pm together with something that looked like a piece of wood. And I have absolutely no idea of what it is. Well, I guess it will remain a mystery.

The most important is my pup is well and the problem got solved naturally! Thank you so much for taking the time to answer, that really meant a lot to me!

·
Registered
310 Posts
I am glad he is doing better. Sometimes it is the natural course that's better. He obviously got into something. Silly puppy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts