Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
They grow so fast
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Puppy with lump in his throat that I'm not sure was there before. It's similar to one's Adam's apple and moves when he breathes and swallows.

He seems to gag slightly and almost vomit but then goes back to being puppy bad like nothing is wrong.

Do we need to be concerned? :crossfing

·
16,000 Posts
Puppy with lump in his throat that I'm not sure was there before. It's similar to one's Adam's apple and moves when he breathes and swallows.

He seems to gag slightly and almost vomit but then goes back to being puppy bad like nothing is wrong.

Do we need to be concerned? :crossfing

Open his mouth, gently push down on his tongue and sweep with index finger to assure that there is not something partially lodged in his airway.

I'd also make sure that he has been dewormed - I'd have a fecal checked. Roundworm infestations can cause this gagging.

I'd not be panicked, though.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
I think that's just normal cartilage, right, like an Adam's Apple. You mean he gags when you press on it?

·
They grow so fast
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Open his mouth, gently push down on his tongue and sweep with index finger to assure that there is not something partially lodged in his airway.

I'd also make sure that he has been dewormed - I'd have a fecal checked. Roundworm infestations can cause this gagging.

I'd not be panicked, though.

He is on his 4th de wormer and he is 10 weeks old, one more day of the five day cycle... He has giardia as well.. I called the vet and she said that it maybe a tickle in the throat a he is eatting and drinking fine.

I did try to stick my fingers down his throat and it doesnt appear to have anything in there.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
It is his larynx aka 'adams apple'.

Puppies can make weird sounds...swallow air...make gagging type noises...
My adults Golden can make some strange noises :)

There is also paroxysmal respiration aka "reverse sneezing"..you can see examples ofit on YouTube.

·
They grow so fast
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He just did it again after I gave him a treat for sitting... Also, he has been gassy tonight and really stinky... he has never had this before

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
Has he had anything to chew on? My Tinkerbell was doing this one night after chewing on a bone during the day. I also stuck my finger down her throat and nothign there. She ate a normal dinner, drank normally, etc just occasionally made these wierd gagging noises and almost vomited. That night it seemd to get worse I was sure she was dying (she has a heart condition) the next morning she ate breakfast and then finally vomited, up came breakfst and a good sized chunk of bone. She was fine, took ehr tot he vet they did a quick scope down her throat to check to make sure no damage was done.

So if there is the possibility that he could have swallowed something...

·
They grow so fast
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
He is on dry food... soft treats.. and a tablespoon of wet food for his meds (its a powder that didnt stick to the dry food)

he is sleeping now, and hasnt has a spell sense my last post... I dont think he swallowed anything, he was playing with toys and a puppy nylone bone, but i looked them all over and nothing was missing a piece.

Thanks for all the help... I will keep you all posted

·
Registered
547 Posts
My Ori seems to cough and gag a lot if he eats his dry food too fast. I make sure to mix half/half dry food and wet food to keep his nutruition up, and also it's good for their teeth. If he eats the food to fast, he starts gagging and coughing too. The first few times he did it, I got so scared I thought I had to give him the Heimlich(sp?) manouver.

Ori has a small lump in his throat as well, it's just his adam's apple as others have noticed. Try mixing a little more wet food in with his normal meals and observe the pace he eats. If still worried if the pace is slower and he's still experiencing problems, ask your vet, or take him in just to be sure.

And yes, please keep us posted. I hope everything is all right. My Ori is a little sick at the moment too, and I know how it feels to try not to panic.

·
16,000 Posts
He is on dry food... soft treats.. and a tablespoon of wet food for his meds (its a powder that didnt stick to the dry food)

he is sleeping now, and hasnt has a spell sense my last post... I dont think he swallowed anything, he was playing with toys and a puppy nylone bone, but i looked them all over and nothing was missing a piece.

Thanks for all the help... I will keep you all posted
I would add some water to his food and see if that helps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts