Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Max swallowed a ham bone whole! :( Do I make him throw up? How do I do that? We SOOOOO cannot afford the vet right now!!!!

HELP! What do I do?!

UPDATE: He is acting totally fine. Called the vet and she said if he isn't acting sick to just take him to the regular vet when we can get in...She of course wanted me to come in asap for xrays...but he is fine...acting pleased with himself and sound asleep... If he starts to act abnormal I will take him to the er vet. Until then, I am waiting it out and watching him like a friggin hawk... I feel like such a bad mommy for not being able to get it away from him before he could swallow it...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,147 Posts
My initial thought is that a large ham bone might cause more damage or get stuck if vomiting is induced.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,612 Posts
Was it cooked? Was it part of the shank or the little round one?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is was from a 10 pound ham but the bone was cut in half I was gonna boil it for soup but it fell on the ground and befoer I could say leave it he ate it!... about as big as a fist!! :( He swallowed it about 10 minutes ago.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,537 Posts
How big a ham bone? How long ago? How is he acting?

My late golden, Alli, had swallowed a baby back rib bone whole (my guess it was about 2 1/2 to 3 inches, and it was curved). It was during the evening, when our regular vet was closed. We called the ER vet and was told that if she wasn't choking, that she was going to be fine, and that if we wanted to get more advice, we'd have to bring her in and pay the ER fee (I think it was $150, $200--we're in South Florida). We waited it out, and called our regular vet the next day.

She said that if the bone didn't block her throat, causing her to choke, that it would get eaten up by her stomach acid--that the acid can eat through bone. I don't know if this helps you or not--but that's the decision we made, and how it all turned out, which was for the best. But my husband never gave our goldens rib bones "to suck on" ever again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,147 Posts
As big as a fist sounds quite large - perhaps to large to expect it to come back up during vomiting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes it was cooked... I dunno what part of the bone it was. It was the ham bone from our Christmas ham! (Spiral cut if that helps???)
 

·
Daisy - my heart
Joined
·
12,575 Posts
My first thought is that if he swallowed it easily enough, his stomach acids will kick in now. You may never see that bone again. Daisy swallowed a country rib bone, a large one, whole. I was told to give her 4-5 slices of bread and honest to goodness, that bone totally disappeared.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I didn't think so, but that was my first reaction... So I just give him bread and wait it out?! We don't get paid for another week!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,147 Posts
I agree with Jo Ellen - do not induce vomiting. It's entirely possible that the bone will be broken down by stomach acid and then digest normally, perhaps with diarrhea.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Max got the top round part of that bone in the picture...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
869 Posts
Our 41/2 month old swallowed a pecan whole shell & all. (about 1 1/2 x 1 inch) I used 2 teaspoons of peroxide & walked him around outside. He threw up within 2-3 minutes & the nut came right up.
I don't know about something as big as the bone. IF you decide to induce vomiting I read to use 1 teaspoon of peroxide.for every 10 pounds. My vet advised me on the phone to induce vomiting, maybe your vet will let you know what they think.
Our breeder recently said dogs will digest even bones, so to be honest I don't know. I would ask your vet. Seems pretty big to try & induce vomiting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,147 Posts
I didn't think so, but that was my first reaction... So I just give him bread and wait it out?! We don't get paid for another week!
I wouldn't feed him anything else except ice and/or water. Is he breathing okay and acting normal otherwise?
 

·
Daisy - my heart
Joined
·
12,575 Posts
It's really amazing what disappears in these dogs' stomachs. Wait it out, yes. But I would call your vet tomorrow, tell them what happened and ask them what kinds of things you should be looking out for.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK... I guess I should find a vet. We don't have one yet, since we just moved here! UG...just what I need right now! MORE STRESS!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,612 Posts
I think the knuckle end will be easier on him that nthe shank part. Less rough edges.
I'd be inclined to wait it out, but keep a very close watch on him to make sure he doesn't get into difficulties.

I'd leave off the kibble for at least today and in the morning just in case he needs anything done.

You can probably call the ER clinic and get some advice over the phone. OF course, they are going to have to recommend you bring him since they can't risk not advising that. Maybe they could at least tell you what you should be looking for and fast you would see symptoms.

I'll keep my fingers crossed and pray he will be okay.
 
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Top