Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need sone help please. Ive read so many posts about this issue. I am at my wits end and so stressed. I keep a detailed daily journal for Archie. Which means, i log everything he does and what time he does it. He seems to pee every 30 min. Even with that, he still has accidents in the house. Poop is hit or miss. I talked to our vet yesterday and he said i shouldnt be taking him outside to pee every 30 min and he needs more crate time. He sleeps in his crate over night. NO accidents ever. But i could take him out side and he will pee.....come inside, play and pee on the carpeting...no warning. He is not crated for more than a couple hours at a time because someone is home during the day. William our last golden was house broken by this time and not NEARLY as naughty as archie....any ideas. Thanks

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
How old is Archie? How many accidents a day? When are they?
Don't think of the crate as punishment, think of it as an aide to potty training. The fact that he can hold it overnight means he has the physical ability to do it, but he doesn't understand the house rules.
Dogs don't like to pee/poop where they sleep.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im sorry archie is 14 weeks. I never use the crate as punishment. I dont like the crate but our vet said its imperative we crate him. 2 accidents this morning, pee. Thats whats so frustrating, he can hold it for eight hours over night, but pees during the day ( 10 min after he went potty outside).

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
At 14 weeks you're expecting a lot, imo. I know some pups are housebroken by this time, but I don't think my puppy was fully housebroken until she was about 20 weeks. Of course she suffered from UTIs and whatnot, but still.

Take him out every 30 minutes. If he goes, praise him. If he does not go, set your timer for 15 minutes and take him out then. When he is inside, either crate him or keep him on a leash with you so you can monitor him. If he goes after 15 minutes, re-set the timer for 30 minutes and repeat this all over again.

You need to watch his body language. If he starts to circle or sniff the ground, I would immediately take him outside and give him the go pee command.

Hang in there. He's a baby. He'll get the hang of it. :)

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
If he is having accidents when you take him out every 30 minutes, try taking him out every 15 minutes and see if that helps.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Usually the housetraining lightbulb comes on right around 16 weeks of age. Before that, it's more based on your timing.

The rule of thumb in housetraining is to take them out when they've been playing, when they've finished eating, when they first wake up and after they drink.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
I agree with kdmarsh, you're expecting too much from a puppy that age. I remember taking Hank out every 15-20 minutes (waking hours) and watching him like a hawk the other 40-45 minutes a day! Can you keep him gated in a room with no carpet? That would at least help your stress level.

Please don't compare him to your last Golden. Just like kids, some are potty trained earlier than others, some are naughtier than others. Archie is still young, he'll get it.

·
Kristy
9,838 Posts
I wouldn't have him anywhere in the house that is carpeted. Confine him to the kitchen or tiled areas only. The only way to get thru this is to keep him crated when u are unable to give him your full attention. Don't despair, it will happen if you keep o. It and be sure to clean accident spots very thoroughly.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
He's still a baby.
Our vet had us take all of the puppies, on leash, to do their thing. They need to learn going out is for business, not playtime. Give the puppy 5 or 10 minutes to sniff around and go, then come back in.
If the puppy did not go, then it's straight into the crate. After 15 minutes, try outside again. Same routine.
If the puppy goes when outside, he can be loose in the house for a short period of time before going back outside. You will learn to read the signals of when he needs to go out.
Immediately after waking from a nap and immediately after playing, the puppy needs to go outside. Not 5 minutes later, immediately. The hassle now pays off later.

Honestly, I credit the other dogs for training the puppies. They seemed to sense when they needed to go out and let us know. They also learned that skill from them. and it's been that way for 35 years.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I have to agree, he is a baby and as with people puppies all are different. They learn at a different rate and have individual personalities. First of all stop comparing him to your first Golden. Relax, he may urinate from anxiety that he is picking up from you. It is amazing how well they read us even at his age.

Has he been checked for a UTI? He is probably ok since he can hold it all night but I would double check. Both Sunny and Kirby had UTI and once it was gone they trained in record time.

I can't give advice with crate training, I didn't do it, mine had their crates in a x-pen with pads (I worked full-time then). It may have taken a little longer but not much.

·
Logan & Lacey in R hearts
1,814 Posts
Have to agree with everyone else, 14wks is still very young to expect him to be potty trained. Playing definitely get's things working, and I would let them play for about 10-15 minutes and then take them back outside for a quick pee. Yes, some of ours did sleep all through the night at that age, but waking hours were definitely times when I watched them very closely. Good luck.

·
Shoregold
670 Posts
He is still a baby and can not be expected to have it down yet. Use the crate more often. Take the puppy out of the crate and bring him directly outside. Do not talk to the puppy. If he goes right away praise, praise, praise. If he doesn't go in a couple of minutes. Pick him up and back in the crate, wait a few minutes and carry him outside, again with words. Right away pee praise if not back in the crate. If the puppy goes right away set your timer and play with the puppy in the house. The pup should not have access to the whole house. You should not leave food and water down at all times. Control what they take in so you know what needs to come out. If you can not watch the pup for even a minute put him in the crate. Then when you are done what you need to it take the puppy right outside and follow the directions above (right away, praise, if not crate) Never leave the pup unattended for a minute unless he is in the crate. He has no idea about the potty thing if he going all over the house. I also feed my dogs their next meal in their favorite place to have an accident. A crate is a good thing not a punishment so use it often. Sorry for rambling but I can go crazy on this subject. Good Luck

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow thanks everyone. I feel so much better about the potty training . The hard thing is, he doesnt sniff or circle. Just sqauts. He does not like his crate one bit. In fact hes in it right now and screaming up a storm. I dont understand it either. I NEVER use it as punishment...its always. Good kennel, in a happy voice. I cant stand to listen to him screaming...oh if its not one thing its another. Its just me...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am sorry, i am so wrapped up with my issues, i didnt even respond correctly. So if i am understanding this right, i should carry him from the kennel to outside, not walk him?? I keep an eye on him always. He is never out of my sight and does not have free roam of the house. If i have to do something, he goes in his crate. If i confine him to the kitchen, then i dont see him. The family room is where i spend most of my time. Unfortunately it has carpeting Oh well. Now just as i am am typing this post, i took him potty. We came back inside. He wandered around the room and went into the kitchen . I jumped up and ran into the kitchen and heard him whine. I took him outside and he pooped!! Hooray!! Pooping in the house hasnt been an issue. I swear archie hardly ever poops. Its so overwhelming. The main issues are potty training, biting and all of a sudden he doesnt want to walk on the leash. I have done EVERYTHING to correct the biting and nothing is working. Sometimes i think hes really mean, i mean really mean.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
I am sorry, i am so wrapped up with my issues, i didnt even respond correctly. So if i am understanding this right, i should carry him from the kennel to outside, not walk him?? I keep an eye on him always. He is never out of my sight and does not have free roam of the house. If i have to do something, he goes in his crate. If i confine him to the kitchen, then i dont see him. The family room is where i spend most of my time. Unfortunately it has carpeting Oh well. Now just as i am am typing this post, i took him potty. We came back inside. He wandered around the room and went into the kitchen . I jumped up and ran into the kitchen and heard him whine. I took him outside and he pooped!! Hooray!! Pooping in the house hasnt been an issue. I swear archie hardly ever poops. Its so overwhelming. The main issues are potty training, biting and all of a sudden he doesnt want to walk on the leash. I have done EVERYTHING to correct the biting and nothing is working. Sometimes i think hes really mean, i mean really mean.
He's not mean, he's just a puppy. Hang in there, puppyhood doesn't last forever!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts