Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok - I am at my wits end here. I love this dog - but I am getting really irritated. :mad: Sorry - please let me vent.

I wrote a week or two ago about Apple's weight and vulva issue. So - we've been doing good - she's lost 2 pounds so far - 1 pound a week. I've done a strict 1/2 cup food around 7:30 a.m. and 1/2 cup food around 3:30 p.m. Minimal treats in between - carrots and green beans...She seems content? Or so I thought?

Normally, I bring her potty, she poops, I put her to bed around 9 p.m. - in her crate - that has not changed since she was a puppy. Normally she goes potty again around 7 a.m. and everything is great! :)

BUT - The last three nights after spending 30 - 45 minutes walking her outside because I know she has to go poop - she doesn't. :uhoh: I put her in her crate at 9 - 9:30 - giving her a little extra time to tell me if she has to go - I bring her out again as a precaution - nothing. :uhoh:

I've been woken up by the smell (by 6 a.m.) of a puppy, wall and crate covered in POOP the last few mornings!! :yuck: and I am NOT happy. :mad: she does not whine, she does not bark, no movement in her crate...grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Just a stinky house and a dirty dog. (It's pretty cold to be airing out your house at 6 a.m.!!)

I thought giving her LESS food would make her go LESS...not more - and not in the middle of the night!!

And - to top it off - she's acting weird again!!! :no: Staring, sleeping all day - maybe it's lack of nutrition? Maybe her thyroid? I DON"T KNOW!! But - I do know that I am calling the vet today. Something is not right. And, I am going to ask if they can take her blood so I can send it to Dr. Dodds.

Any suggestions? Any words of wisdom??

I feel awful, because...when I had visions of getting a puppy last year I never, ever imagined we'd have THIS many issues with one dog. I know they can't all be perfect - but to have one with so many issues is not normal. I am just so frustrated by everything...and to think it's not even been 1 year since we've had Apple - that won't be until March 28th. I don't know if I can handle a possible 8 - 10 years more of this!!!!

AHHHH!!!! :(

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
The carrots and green beans are high in fiber and that can cause her to need to go more until her body adjusts to them.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The carrots and green beans are high in fiber and that can cause her to need to go more until her body adjusts to them.
I thought about that...but she gets about 3 baby carrots during the day - I'm not sure that's enough to cause any reaction? She's had a few green beans - but I usually give her carrots.

Not sure why she doesn't whine or bark to let me know she needs to go potty?? I'd bring her out in the middle of the night...or anytime she needs to go.

Thanks for your reply!!

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
Just wanted to wish you well. You'll get this resolved soon, I hope.

I don't have a clue why she's not whining or letting you know her urgency to go potty. Where is her crate- near your bedroom at all? Maybe she is being a "good girl" because she knows that she isn't to whine. ????

·
Premium Member
18,641 Posts
I have not idea why she's doing this, but the staring and sleeping all day is not normal. Only 1 cup of food a day doesn't sound like enough even if you are trying to get weight off of her, unless she is also getting other low calories foods added to it.

The vet is a good idea, and I would suggest you set an alarm in the middle of the night and get up and take her out for a while.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Does she normally "let you know"? Is the consistency different? Is she on a different type of food? Maybe changing her feeding schedule would help?

First talk to the vet, but like suggested above, get up a time or two in the middle of the night until you have her schedule figured out. She's probably just as unhappy about the mess as you are!

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
It sounds like there's something else going on here, like a thyroid issue. I'd probably cut out the beans, since the extra fiber might be making it harder for her to hold it, but a trip to the vet and a blood workup are probably in order.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UPDATE ON APPLE:

She's been at the vet since this morning...just got an update on her. They did blood work and sent it out this morning - they said that they'll get it back tonight or tomorrow. The results will determine where we go from here.

As for the pooping - the vet suggested a chicken/rice bland diet for 2 days and then slowly introducing the food back in. They have been waiting for a stool sample - but she has not cooperated...to check for any parasites or anything in her stool. So - I may have to drop off a sample when she goes next.

They are sending her home with the med for giarrdia? just as a precaution...they also mentioned Addison's disease?? irritable bowel with lethargy? not sure about that one - but whatever....i guess the blood work will show something?

Anyway - thanks for the suggestions...just wanted to give an update on her. I'll update again when I know more.

I have to go pick Apple up...thanks!!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I'm so sorry you're going through all of this. This may be reaching a bit, but could it be seizure related???? You mentioned the staring, and I remember when you told us about that when she was younger...not all seizures present as convulsions. Maybe if she has one at night she loses control of her bowels? Just a thought.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
I'm sorry Apple's still having a hard time. I know only too well how nasty it is to clean up a poopy crate and dog, so I sympathize with you. I really hope you can get things figured out soon!

·
Premium Member
18,641 Posts
I've been thinking about you today, I hope the vet can get to the bottom of Apple's problem and resolve it quickly.

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
Poor Apple..I hope you get your answers soon.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Hoping you guys can get to the bottom of it & get little Apple squared away...just wondering what her breeder makes of all her health issues?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you all for your well wishes...we have more news from the blood work.

UGH! Apples creatin(?) levels were very high - indicating a kidney or pancreas issue!! The dr. suggested doing a specific test to see if she actually has Addison's disease. so we are probably going to do that test. $225 for the visit today, $250 for this specific test...how come it's never $25 for the visit or $20 for the tests?? :curtain:

she's home - she's been sleeping. i still think something else is going on - but all other bloodwork was fine. her thyroid t-4 test came back at 2.0 - well within normal ranges. i guess we'll just wait and see.

Hoping you guys can get to the bottom of it & get little Apple squared away...just wondering what her breeder makes of all her health issues?
:) we got our money back for apple within the first month of having her home because of the issues we had back then. the breeder was shocked because this many issues have never happened in just one of their dogs. so - they know who her parents are - and hopefully they don't breed them again together.

Thanks again for everyone's happy thoughts...we'll see if I wake up tomorrow to a poopy crate and dog. I will be setting the alarm for a midnight run to the 'potty'.

OH - AND SUPER GOOD NEWS!!! APPLE'S LOST 4 POUNDS!! She's at 84 pounds now...good girl apple!!

Here's a few pics from a few weekends ago...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Thank you all for your well wishes...we have more news from the blood work.

UGH! Apples creatin(?) levels were very high - indicating a kidney or pancreas issue!! The dr. suggested doing a specific test to see if she actually has Addison's disease. so we are probably going to do that test. $225 for the visit today, $250 for this specific test...how come it's never $25 for the visit or $20 for the tests?? :curtain:

she's home - she's been sleeping. i still think something else is going on - but all other bloodwork was fine. her thyroid t-4 test came back at 2.0 - well within normal ranges. i guess we'll just wait and see.

:) we got our money back for apple within the first month of having her home because of the issues we had back then. the breeder was shocked because this many issues have never happened in just one of their dogs. so - they know who her parents are - and hopefully they don't breed them again together.

Thanks again for everyone's happy thoughts...we'll see if I wake up tomorrow to a poopy crate and dog. I will be setting the alarm for a midnight run to the 'potty'.

OH - AND SUPER GOOD NEWS!!! APPLE'S LOST 4 POUNDS!! She's at 84 pounds now...good girl apple!!

Here's a few pics from a few weekends ago...
I hope her kidney or pancreas is ok!!

FYI, in order to really tell if a dog has a thyroid issue an entire panel needs to be run, not just the T4...and low normal is low for a golden.

I hope she feels better soon.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Normally, I bring her potty, she poops, I put her to bed around 9 p.m. - in her crate - that has not changed since she was a puppy. Normally she goes potty again around 7 a.m. and everything is great! :)

BUT - The last three nights after spending 30 - 45 minutes walking her outside because I know she has to go poop - she doesn't. :uhoh: I put her in her crate at 9 - 9:30 - giving her a little extra time to tell me if she has to go - I bring her out again as a precaution - nothing. :uhoh:

I've been woken up by the smell (by 6 a.m.) of a puppy, wall and crate covered in POOP the last few mornings!! :yuck: and I am NOT happy. :mad: she does not whine, she does not bark, no movement in her crate...grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Just a stinky house and a dirty dog. (It's pretty cold to be airing out your house at 6 a.m.!!)
(
Hi, so sorry Apple's going through this! I can empathize a little, I have a GD who's had BM issues since he was 8 weeks. It's not serious or anything, but I have spent a lot of money at the vet's to find that out!! :p:

As for getting her to poop before bed--try to get her to run around out side for a few minutes and then let her off leash to do her thing. Works for me & my two every time!! :)

Good luck!

·
Registered
633 Posts
You may want to consider keeping sweet Apple in a SuperYard XT pen at night if she is having an accident. It will be easier to clean because she can move away from the area. Target has them for $69.99.

http://www.target.com/s/183-5586655-6735639?_encoding=UTF8&LID=14057734&search-alias=tgt-index&keywords=baby_superyard%5Fxt&searchSize=30&ref=tgt%5Fadv%5FXSMS0553&searchView=grid5&searchNodeID=1038576&AFID=msnsearch&searchPage=1&searchRank=target104545&LNM=baby%5Fsuperyard%5Fxt

If you are not getting sleep over this and she is not well, the stress of finding her accident and having to clean up her crate and the wall, is the last thing you need.

All three of my Goldens have used our SuperYard. They come in handy. I have four of them now that I can connect together to create a separate large space in a dry area of our yard when it is muddy, or to give a worn out area of grass a break. I also use it in the house to block off areas if needed (such as when the carpets are being cleaned). I use it when I give them baths. When each one is done with their bath, they air dry outside on the patio in the SuperYard. That way they can't run around and roll while they are still wet.

It confines them - but for older and taller dogs, it allows them to stand up and move around.

We love our SuperYard - its one of the best things we purchased for our dogs.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
I feel so strongly that all of Apple's symptoms (aside from the ED) tie in to one particular disease or defect. Perhaps it is something very rare so that's why it's so difficult for you to pin down a treatment. I sincerely hope that you can figure out what exactly is wrong with her. This must be so frustrating for you and for Apple. :(

1 - 20 of 25 Posts