Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 5 year old Golden Retriever has lately been rubbing his rear against everything. We thought he was just trying to clean his bottom, but it appears now that he is very uncomfortable and his anal area is VERY red and inflammed. PLEASE HELP! Does anyone have any input as to what may be wrong????

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
it sounds like an infected and/or impacted anal gland. A trip to the vet is in order for sure! They will drain it, and then probably put him on some antibiotics to clear it up. It's not all that uncommon, but it does bother them a lot when it happens.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Ditto to Hotel4dogs answer.
He probably kept rubbing his backside because of the anal glands and now has some local irritation as well.

·
Dave K.
71 Posts
Ditto the above posts. Clancy has had impacted glands a couple of times. Vet will take care of it toot-sweet.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You can feel the gland sacs to see if they are full. Sounds gross, but if his butt were a clock, the glands are at roughly 4 and 6 o'clock. You can feel if they are full because they will feel kind of like two little beans (for lack of a better description, lol). Plus, if they are full they usually reek as well. Kinda like spoiled fish. Its not a pleasant smell.

A groomer can usually express it for you, but since you say the area is red and irritated, it would be best to go to the vet to have them do it this time and to make sure it doesn't rupture. They can also show you how to do it yourself if you are so inclined. Its not hard, but its kind of icky if you have a weak stomach.

Rocko has very active glands, and lucky for me, I get to express them once every few weeks. Its lovely. I have heard that adding a tablespoon of pure pumpkin, or a teaspoon of ground flax will help them to express the glands on their own. Ask your vet if either would be a good supplement for your dog. Most large dogs are able to express them without help, but some do need to have them done regularly. Good luck. Anal gland issues are a joy to deal with!

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Did you take him to the vet?
I hope all is well with you and your pup.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sorry, I had my "click" numbers wrong. I meant to say 4 and 8 o'clock. Not 6.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts