Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! We have two dogs - one is a 7 year old cavelier poodle and the other is an 11 week old golden retriever. One of my daughters is reacting to the golden retriever. She’s sneezing and nose is becoming blocked and eyes very itchy. Anyone had same problem and did you become immune with time??? TIA
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
381 Posts
Help! We have two dogs - one is a 7 year old cavelier poodle and the other is an 11 week old golden retriever. One of my daughters is reacting to the golden retriever. She’s sneezing and nose is becoming blocked and eyes very itchy. Anyone had same problem and did you become immune with time??? TIA

Has your daughter seen a physician yet? Perhaps a human allergist?
Hope you get to the bottem of it.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
680 Posts
Allergies can go away over time but we are talking a period of years. It is unlikely that your daughter will become immune. As suggested, start with your general practitioner who will probably recommend an allergist.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,552 Posts
I would take her to an allergist for testing. They have treatments like shots and sublingual pills to help overcome allergies. Could it be the dog shampoo? People here are having terrible allergies because it's was so dry this fall. Just please don't make a Golden Retriever be an outside dog. They are meant to be with people and is very tortuous for them to be stuck outside mostly alone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
I agree that you should take her to an allergist to consult the options. I had absolutely terrible allergies to dogs to the point where my nose would clog up so much I could not breathe and my eyes would itch with no end. When I started dating my husband he had a golden and I could not even be in the same room as him. Eventually, with time I did become "immune" and now we have our own golden and there is literally hair everywhere and I am fine. A dream come true!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. My daughter hasn't seen the Doctor yet, as this is just recent. She has previously seen an allergy specialist but dogs didn't show up in the tests. No intention of having the dog as an outside dog. Wouldn't work. Too wet and dark here in Ireland! I'm hoping she'll overcome the allergy herself ... it is worse at night. Autumn leaves may not be helping either! thanks to everyone
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
680 Posts
Thanks for the replies. My daughter hasn't seen the Doctor yet, as this is just recent. She has previously seen an allergy specialist but dogs didn't show up in the tests. No intention of having the dog as an outside dog. Wouldn't work. Too wet and dark here in Ireland! I'm hoping she'll overcome the allergy herself ... it is worse at night. Autumn leaves may not be helping either! thanks to everyone
That's the other consideration. It could be a coincidence but not the cause. Depending on where live it could be a whole host of allergens related to the fall.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
381 Posts
Thanks for the replies. My daughter hasn't seen the Doctor yet, as this is just recent. She has previously seen an allergy specialist but dogs didn't show up in the tests. No intention of having the dog as an outside dog. Wouldn't work. Too wet and dark here in Ireland! I'm hoping she'll overcome the allergy herself ... it is worse at night. Autumn leaves may not be helping either! thanks to everyone
Interesting.
The last time I had an allergy test (many yrs ago), the doctor pricked my back with a bunch of needles containing different possible allergens..there were a few containing dog dander that I tested positive for..but those were a false positive. (they puffed up and got red, which indicated a positive) It turned out that I was not allergic to dogs, but what mine had drug in the house on their feet and fur.. I imagine that a lot has changed since then.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
218 Posts
Thanks for the replies. My daughter hasn't seen the Doctor yet, as this is just recent. She has previously seen an allergy specialist but dogs didn't show up in the tests. No intention of having the dog as an outside dog. Wouldn't work. Too wet and dark here in Ireland! I'm hoping she'll overcome the allergy herself ... it is worse at night. Autumn leaves may not be helping either! thanks to everyone
Hmm, is the puppy bringing in allergens (eg, dust, grass, leaves) from playing or frequent potty training? You could try wiping the puppy's coat and paws with a baby wipe or pet wipe to lessen the allergens being tracked in.

Does your daughter sleep in the same room as the dogs? Could her bedding be changed more frequently? What else is she allergic to?

After 20+ years of owning cats, I am now allergic to cats. However, I'm more allergic to the cat who joined our house within the last 5 years, than I am allergic to the cats I've had 10-15 years. Desensitization definitely is at play here. I also have a dust-mite proof pillow case cover, change my bedding every week or two (and pillowcase weekly), and vacuum frequently (while wearing a face mask).

To alleviate her symptoms, you could probably get over the counter allergy symptom medication or nose sprays. I'd stop it about 3 days before you have the doctor visit so they can see the full extent of her symptoms. And frequent handwashing after touching the puppy.

(Sorry if these are super basic things, but I just wanted to make sure you had the basics covered.)
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top