Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
His parents are the normal GR height! Yes,food plays an important role. What do you think about homemade food,I've watched a fee videos on youtube. Rocky is going to be a handsome boy!! And thanks a lot for your advice :)
I am not a fan of homemade food. Too complicated to achieve a well balanced diet, especially for a growing puppy. We feed Acana. https://acana.com/our-foods/dog-foods/regionals/meadowland/?lang=usa

It is the same food we feed Max. While an adult food, it is certified for all life stages.

Here is a recent picture of Rocky at 4 and a half months old.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think he is a lovely beautiful puppy. I will tell you my Labrador is 3 years old and 20" at the withers. I am often asked if he is a puppy. He is just short, and appears not too lengthy either. I am seeing many Labs at 27 plus inches more than 100 lbs. I also see a wide variety in height and shape in the Golden Retrievers I see in my neighborhood and at different leash parks. My Rough Collie is oversized at 85lbs and 25 inches. She is taller than most Goldens I have seen. She was taller than the few other Collies I have come in contact with. She is also very long and large boned. Both are from BYB. My Labs litter were all similar in size and weight at 8 wks. There were nine in his litter. My Collies liter of 12 varied tremendously in size and weight at 6 weeks old from 4lbs to 10lbs. I wouldn't trade him for the world.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Angel is 7 months and about 50lbs I don't think she is getting much bigger either, sometimes they are smaller.

·
Registered
948 Posts
My little guy is about the same size and will be 8 months in a few days. Both of his parents are within standard and I think he will be about the same size. Pilot has more hair and is a bit bulkier. Also, remember that average and standard are 2 completely different things. My vet has a poster with average weights and heights from different breeds. I’m always astonished by the average for a golden. MY grown girl is within standard but a very small when compared to the average. My vet is always happy to see goldens the size they should be. Most of them she sees are oversized and very overweight.

I feed Pro Plan Sport all life stages performance 30/20. I noticed a big change in his coat and build when I started feeding this.

Zeiss is a cute boy.
A picture of Pilot. He will be 8 months old on the 7th. He has really nice ears but for whatever reason he wouldn’t hold them right. Silly boy. He’s a hairy kid.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys! I'm really thinking if it's okay for an 8mo golden retriever to look like he's a 4-5 mo puppy! His height is around 51cm and weight is around 44lbs. He looks really small and still has to grow a lot of fur for a golden retriever!and is anyone having the same problem too?? The vet says he can grow into 15 mo. But I'm highly doubtful if Zeiss can reach the average height by that time. Help!!
HI
I have the same one now 8 month same size, what is your experience since 2017 , did grow up?

·
Debbie624
359 Posts
Hey guys! I'm really thinking if it's okay for an 8mo golden retriever to look like he's a 4-5 mo puppy! His height is around 51cm and weight is around 44lbs. He looks really small and still has to grow a lot of fur for a golden retriever!and is anyone having the same problem too?? The vet says he can grow into 15 mo. But I'm highly doubtful if Zeiss can reach the average height by that time. Help!!
My golden is pretty small too. She is 15 months old and the last time I weighed her, about 1 month ago, she was about 46 pounds. Her mom is petite, 55 pounds, and her dad is closer to 70 ish. I checked with my breeder who kept a pup from the litter and her girl is small too. I have worried too but from what I am hearing from my breeder, they are small bc their mom is small and not to worry. I will check with my vet at her checkup next week. We were feeding her PPP focus chicken and rice but switched to American Natural Premium about 6 months ago. Here is a recent pc of Coco.

20200502_180842.jpg

21 - 28 of 28 Posts