Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 3 year old golden was trained by the time he was three months old. I have another 9 year old golden, and I trained them both to go use the bathroom in the back of the yard whenever I gave them the command to "do it." And that worked fine. Then late last year, my 3 year old had a few accidents in the house. For example one night I had let them out around midnight and said "do it" then in the morning around 6am there was a pile outside of my bedroom door. That kind of thing has happened a few times. So then I noticed that he was not going on command when I said "do it". Instead he will just look at me. If I go up to him, he will start running. Keep in mind that he knows the command. I tried to go back to crate training, where I put him in his crate and took him out frequently to use the bathroom on command. He actually went for 24 hrs without using the bathroom, and finally he went in his crate. Now I just keep leave him outside for long periods of time and keep him in his crate at night and when I go to work. He is lonely and sad and I am frustrated. I am planning to give him up if I can't get this problem resolved by fall. I have hired a dog trainer, but so far her suggestions have had no effect on this problem.

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
I would take a urine sample to the vet- but a dog being able to hold it for 24 hours straight probably doesn't have a UTI

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
A UTI was my thought too, but I think the OPis referring to No. 2's. Either way, a trip to the vet is in order. I suspect there is some medical issue causing the issue. Anytime there is a sudden change in behavior, a trip to the vet is warranted, in order to rule out a medical condition.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I am planning to give him up if I can't get this problem resolved by fall.
Ok, I am going to be honest here, because I know others here are thinking this as well. I find you saying this disturbing. I know in my heart that this is just your frustration in dealing with this for over 6 months. Now that I have said this, others here need not comment on it at all.

You are doing the right thing consulting with a trainer, but don't fall in love with them if they are not solving the issue and a medical condition has been ruled out.

My only other thought would be, did you change his diet prior to this issue?

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Are you giving him enough time to 'do it' ? Do you take the time to reward him once in awhile when he does 'do it'? Just because he 'knows' the command it doesn't mean he has to go when you say it. How long does he have to wait between bathroom breaks? Is he getting enough exercise? Walks can help get the process started.
Get him checked out by a vet, and then consider what you can do to help him get it right.

·
Kate
21,489 Posts
With my dog he has to poop at least twice a day. Fortunately he poops on command now, but when he was a puppy, he would go on leash and we'd spend a few minutes walking around in the "poop area" of the yard and praise him for a good poop. It's a pain standing outside and waiting for a long time for your dog to poop, but it's worth it in the long run.

The fact he's having accidents in the house means that he has to go outside and you are not aware of or paying attention to him fussing. The longer he goes without you cracking down and making sure he knows poop goes outside, the more difficult it will be to train him to only go outside.

Your trainer should be working with you and your family to be more dilligent in clicking the leash on and walking out to the poop area with your dog and pacing until you have a reason to praise and reward your dog.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for your help. I think the problem is solved (somewhat). I tried to hire a trainer to help but that did not work out. The trainer just did basic stuff and couldn't diagnose the problem. I did get the dog checked for health problems and he had none. After much work, the conclusion I came to is that the dog was never really trained to follow the command in the first place. Instead he was just following my older dog did, and at some point stopped following. I changed the cues where the command "do it" just means go to the appropriate area of the yard. Then I leave the dog out for at least an hour to give him time to go. I also am crating him at night and I limit him (with baby gates) to the family room and kitchen when I leave the house. That seems to be working out. If I wanted him to go on command, I would have to start training him all over again with a new command. I may do that some time in the future. Thanks again for your help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts