Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My beautiful dog Begley (and he lives up to his name and 'begs'!) is 4 years old. He has had 1 seizure witnessed by a groomer and 2 more by myself.

I moved away 1 year ago, 2 states away. My parents are going out of the country and I will be watching him for 2 1/2 weeks in my apartment. I got him here at 10PM and had his first seizure at 3:30AM and just had a second one at 2:14 PM. :no:

I called his vet back home and they said to just watch him that he's just anxious and out of his comfort zone (and he does seem uncomfortable). 2 more and he goes on meds and one long one he goes to the hospital. I found a 24/7 vet hospital near me and had his vet fax his info JUST IN CASE he starts having cluster seizures or a seizure more than 5 minutes.

But I need help! How can I get my dog comfortable with his surroundings? I'm off today and been up since 6 AM with him. He has his toys, bowls leash, and blanket from my parents home but clearly his scent is not here. I work at 12P tomorrow and my roommate will be home at 5PM. I'm contemplating calling out sick to help him get adjusted but what can I do to make him more comfortable?

I should mention this is a country dog and I live in the city now so even taking him on scheduled walks is a lot for him with all the sounds and people.

Attachments

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Begley

Welcome to you and I am so very sorry about Begley and his seizures.
I know many people on here have experience with them.
Have you tried googling it on the internet-there must be some info on it.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
very sorry to see Begley has joined this club, I would start making notes of food and just about anything that could be a possible trigger, and read up on the seizure threads.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
I am so sorry you are going through this it must be so horrible for you!
Seizures are nasty. Stress can cause seizures.

Seizures and going on seizure meds is serious stuff. The more seizures has the more likely he will have them in the future.

Is there anyway that you can take him home? If not I would try to put him on anxiety meds or rescue remedy at least?

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, despite the sad circumstance that brings you to us. I am so very sorry that you and your sweet Begley are having to deal with seizures.

First, if you have not already begun a seizure journal, that's an important thing to do. It should be a record of every seizures, with date, time, duration, severity, food consumed within the previous 48 hours, meds taken or applied within the last 48 hours, chemicals applied to the home or lawn, cleaning products used, etc. The journal will help you and your vet recognize any patterns that may indicate "triggers" for seizures.

Has your home or building been treated for insects recently? Many such products are triggers for seizures, as may be chemicals that Begley encounters on walks.

The anxiety that you observe may be a consequence of the seizures. I think dogs are aware of having been out of control during a seizure and they probably feel vulnerable. Some level of panting, pacing, and hypersensitivity are common for 48 hours or so after a seizures, in any case. I am hesitant to encourage use of an anti-anxiety med, since Begley may need to go on valium or Pheno if more seizures occur. One thing that you might try to help him settle down a bit is a Thundershirt. We have not used them, but I understand they help many dogs with anxiety problems.

If you can arrange to stay home with him, I think that's an excellent idea. For a dog already under stress, being left alone for even a short time in a strange place may be terrifying and being with a stranger may not be much better. And I know that you will do the best you can. By definitions, that's all you can do.

Please keep us posted.

Hugs and prayers,
Lucy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thank you all for all the support and advice. I have took the advice and read more things to do for Begley.

I ended up using some Vaca time to stay home the rest of the week with him and today (thankfull!) he seems like he is becoming more adjusted to his new living conditions. I have his bed here and I placed my used exercise clothes there every morning so he has a familiar scent should I have to step out for a minute and it seems to be working--I come in and he's buried in my clothes :) Been keeping him on the same routine every day as he is at home. He's starting to love the extra attention from all the city owners on our walks! Like all Goldens, he's such a people dog and follows you everywhere but he's been extra clingy since he got here (I'm assuming b/c of the anxiety of the new enviornment). This morning, he seems back to his usual self and exploring more before coming back to see where I am.

@Doug--I wish I could bring him home but then I would be 4 hours from my job and he would be alone :( He's only alone for 3 hours here.

@GoldensGirl--Thank you, I started a journal and keeping it by the door with a timer.

I Set up an emergency sheet/blanket at the door with directions to the nearest pet hospital (10 mins away by car). It includes ice packs and food for post seizure replenishment.

Cross your fingers, in 5 hours, it will be 48 hours seizure free! He sleeps on the floor next to me at night and I'm a pretty light sleeper so I'm pretty sure (and hoping!) he hasn't had a seizure at night.

Thank you so much everyone! I'll keep you updated :)

Attachments

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Begley

Sounds like you are taking really good care of Begley-you can tell how much you love him. It would be best if he could stay with you.

Reactions: GoldensGirl

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
I am so glad to hear that he has settled down. :D
I have read so many heat breaking accounts of things in people's environments that trigger seizures, eg chemicals and even hidden mould. I am so relieved to hear that this probably isn't true in Begley's case.
How wonderful is it to know that the best medicine for Begley is just simply being with you? What a special boy. Thanks so much for the update! Enjoy your holiday :)

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Begley

Just checking in on Begley and you. I personally think Begley would be much better off in an unfamiliar environment (your apartment), as long as he is with you.
Please let us know how he is doing.

Reactions: GoldensGirl

·
Registered
326 Posts
Only just catching up with this thread - so sorry you and Begley are going through this. I'm just adding my support to that of the others; really hope he's stable now and settles down to enjoy his holiday with you. He's a lucky dog to have you - you obviously care so much about him.

Take care,
Lyn

1 - 12 of 12 Posts