Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone! Was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice. I brought tucker home about 6 weeks ago(8 weeks old). I noticed when I brought him home that he seemed to have a very runny(clear) nose, and seemed to pant a lot! When I brought him in for a check up, the doc said his lungs sounded good, and that he had a strong ticker. Also that he was a very very big boy :). Anyway, since then he's gotten all of his puppy boosters + 2 dewormings and bordatella. He will be getting his rabies next monday.

Anyway, onto the questions. I've noticed that he is still panting pretty consistently. We always have the air conditioner on, and it is pretty cool in the house. Like right now, in his crate, even though he hasn't physically exerted himself, and it is about 75 degrees, he is panting(quite audible) with his tongue out. I also notice that he tends to snore and makes some weird noises while he is sleeping like his nose is clogged or something.

Also, another thing I've noticed is that he always has eye "boogers" when he wakes up and throughout the day. I examined his eyes a couple of days ago, and I noticed that his third eyelid seems to cover a very small part of his eye. If I'm standing above hm and he looks up at me, I can see a little red and some of that third eyelid(is that normal?) it's quite disconcerting. Other than that, he is a perfectly normal 14 week old pup. Really playful, is out most of the day playing, and sleeps perfectly through the night in his crate. A HUGE difference from the first week when he'd cry bloody murder in his crate. (again, right now he is looking at me with his tongue out, panting, his whole body moving with each pant).

His bowel movements are all normal, he has a great appetite, is drinking lots of water. Anyone have any insight?

I just clocked his breathing as he is sleeping in his crate right now, and it's right around 95 breaths per minute judging by rise and fall of chest. He looks like he's perfectly comfortable too. No signs of discomfort at all.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Has he been tested for heartworm or lungworm at all? Both of those things can cause heavy, constant panting. Panting is also one of the main signs of stress in dogs, but it doesn't sounds to me like he is too stressed. It could also be something as simple as a URI, which would require antibiotic therapy. I would probably look into getting a more thorough vet exam if it continues.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Puppies do pant alot but I think I would have him examined by a respitory vet just to be on the safe side. Especially since he is having some discharge from his nose and eyes. Maybe it is allergies. Hopefully it is all normal behavior.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
I would have him carefully checked by a vet, but....puppies do pant a lot. Their "heat control systems" aren't mature until they are at least 4 month old, often older. And believe it or not, 75 is pretty warm to them. They prefer it between 55 and 65.
My Tito always snorted and snored a lot. Still does sometimes.
The discharge from the eyes and nose might just be reaction to dust or pollen in the air.
But for peace of mind, have it checked out!

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
My Scout pants a lot as well...even when he was that little...and always wakes with eye buggers. : )

I'd have your little guys rechecked with a few of the stated suggestions. He might be 100% normal, and it could be an allergy if he sleeps by an air vent. Might need to clean the vents. And if he does sleep on the air vents...this can cause the nose to run as well....

·
I ♥ Bailey and Annie!
1,785 Posts
Bailey had eye boogers constantly when I brought her home. I too, thought something was wrong, but she did grow out of it. I was always wiping her face constantly to clean it off. I don't know about the panting, but Bailey snores when she sleeps. When I first heard the snoring, I though it was one of the kids.lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the helpful replies. He seems to be doing a lot better, and even though he's still panting, he doesn't seem to be uncomfortable. However what worry was placed on his panting, and possible cold is now on his eyes. I noticed today that his eyes kind of appear sunken. He's acting completely normal but for example if I look at him from above while he's chewing on a toy, his third eyelid is apparent, and his eyes seems sunken. It's almost as if he can't control the bottom portion of the eyelid(it has a slight curvature to it). I guess it the best description would be his eyes seem a little droopy, almost like a basset hounds. I remember reading that goldens are more suspect to some eye disorders. Does anyone know what this could be? Thanks again for the help.

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
I'd suggest taking him to a veterinary opthomologist. It could be something as simple as distichia, which are little eyelashes rubbing on the insides of his eyelids. With anything eye related in goldens, I haul the dog off to the experts. Hope it's no big deal for your pup!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts