Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi :) I am new here and this is my first post! I am sorry if this is a repost of some sort.

My husband and I have a 12-week-old golden retriever puppy. She is a generally really smart, well-behaved “perfect” puppy. She’s learning a bunch of different commands such as down, off, drop-it, sit, shake, come, rollover, etc. There has really been no problem with teaching her these things. She defiantly doesn’t have them down perfectly (she’s still a silly wiggly learning pup).

We also have a 7-month-old chartreux cat, Augustine. He is a very friendly loving guy. He follows us from room to room.

When we first brought Sophie home (4 weeks ago) our kitty wasn’t too happy about it. For a few days he didn’t hang out around us and kept to him self. However after about a week they became almost joined at the hip! Augustine is still a kitten, even though he is the size of an adult cat now. He is very playful- attacks feet- anything he sees move. When Sophie and Augustine first started playing together we were pretty thrilled. Augustine has something other then our feet to pounce on and play with and Sophie also has a friend to wrestle with. Now though I am starting to get a little concerned about their playing being too rough.

They chase each other around. They pounce on each other; nip at each other’s legs, tails, ears, heads, etc. Sophie defiantly instigates the playing way more then Augustine, but he starts it sometimes as well. Sometimes though I’ll hear a little squeak of pain from Sophie and occasionally a little meow from Augustine.

Sophie also will chase, bark at and try to play with Augustine when Augustine just isn’t having it. Sometimes Augustine wants to play, other times he doesn’t. Sophie ALWAYS wants to play though! Augustine can’t walk into/through the room without Sophie trying to play with him. She won’t back off as much as Augustine bats at her to go away.

I like that they play together, I feel like it’s good for both of them to have a playmate to play-fight with. I know play-fighting is how animals play. However, I am concerned if maybe they are playing too rough. How do I know when it is play and when it is not? Is there a way to teach Sophie that it is okay to play with the kitty SOMETIMES (not always) and to play softly? Or should we try to teach her to just have nothing to do with the cat?

When I hear noises that don’t sound playful from either of them I separate them. I tell Sophie “off/no” when she won’t stop barking at Augustine while he doesn’t want to play. It takes a while but eventually she gets it and stops.

Also I don’t want Sophie to learn to try to act like this with every cat she sees.

Any advice, insights, tips will be much appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read this really long post!

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,727 Posts
I would continue to watch and step in if they play gets too rough for kitty but the cat will let the dog know when enough is enough! At my max I had 5 dogs, 2 permanent cats, and 2 foster kittens- No cats were ever harmed! I would make sure to give kitty- Dog free areas if he wants alone time.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts