Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Yeah! Way to go Halo and his loving team!!
The trigger puzzle is tough but it seems that you have done an amazing job of pin pointing them :D

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Helo

I was going to update this in October when the anniversary of Helo's last seizure came up but I got busy and forgot. I am happy to report he hasn't had any seizures since Oct. 15 of 2013!!!! I am so happy!!! I recently took him to the vet for blood work and everything looks great. He's such a sweet, happy pup. I don't know for sure how old he is but I'm saying he's 10, right in between Cindy, the chocolate lab, who is 11 and Marilyn, the lab mix, who will be 9 next month.

I wanted to mention a funny/strange thing with Helo....he has struggled with ear infections since I got him 3 1/2 years ago. Nothing we tried would get rid of them. Then I stopped giving him peanut butter with pills since he is on chewable thyroid pills and will take them without being smeared in something. Once we stopped the peanut butter, his ear cleared right up!! About 6 weeks ago I took all 3 dogs to the boarding kennel when I went on vacation. She is really good about giving medicine to him (he needs his potassium bromide on a piece of bread every night) and when I came back she told me she had given him his thyroid pill with peanut butter even though I didn't bring any PB for him like I had when boarding him in the past. Guess what? He had a full blown ear infection again! It has taken me until a couple of days ago to get rid of the darn thing. So I guess next time he goes to the kennel I need to be specific about NO peanut butter and NO fish for Helo.

One other thing, I wonder if I will ever not be on high alert for seizures. If I notice him acting the least bit strange I start getting anxious that he is about to have a seizure, or if I hear him move around too much at night I am immediately wake up listening for a seizure. I know all too well seizures can return at any time so I guess I will continue to be vigilant. :)
I am so glad for your amazing update on Helo. Do you think it's possible that the peanut butter caused his seizures, as well as the ear infection?

Reactions: Helo's Mom

·
Super Moderator Leader
48,975 Posts
I'm thinking that he's allergic to peanut butter and the allergy manifests itself into an ear infection. (?)
Helo probably is.

I have noticed with my boy, that certain dog treats have caused him to have ear problems, so I really watch the ingredients in treats that I give him now.

I use PB when giving meds, I haven't noticed him having any problems with it yet, but I'm going to keep a real close eye on his ears since you posted about Helo's problems with PB.

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
Glad to hear your boy is doing so well! And glad that you figured out the peanut butter was causing the ear infections. Food allergies can definitely trigger seizures, so you might have another piece to your puzzle.

Charlie left us over three years ago, but we leap to see if a seizure is in progress whenever we hear odd noises from a dog. I'm not sure that reflex will ever go away.

Wishing you many more seizure-free years.

·
Leslie
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I just wanted to post an update. Helo has gone another year with no seizures so now he's 2 years seizure free!!!! I'm so happy about this!!! He is eating Hill's Ideal Balance grain free chicken and potato dog food and he has 2 different kinds of dry treats. I am sticking with these products since they don't cause him to have seizures. His ear infection has been gone for nearly a year and I can't believe how healthy he is! He is 9 or 10 or 11 years old now and acts like a young pup. No joint discomfort at all. I'm just thrilled. I am totally convinced it was that Nutro fish flavored food that caused his last seizures. He is on a fish free diet just in case it's all fish. Anyway, just wanted to post the good news. :)

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
I just wanted to post an update. Helo has gone another year with no seizures so now he's 2 years seizure free!!!! I'm so happy about this!!! He is eating Hill's Ideal Balance grain free chicken and potato dog food and he has 2 different kinds of dry treats. I am sticking with these products since they don't cause him to have seizures. His ear infection has been gone for nearly a year and I can't believe how healthy he is! He is 9 or 10 or 11 years old now and acts like a young pup. No joint discomfort at all. I'm just thrilled. I am totally convinced it was that Nutro fish flavored food that caused his last seizures. He is on a fish free diet just in case it's all fish. Anyway, just wanted to post the good news. :)
Fantastic news! I'm so happy for you and for Helo!

He is a very lucky boy that you have been so devoted and determined to find the cause for his seizures, and that the seizures stopped with a change of food. That's the miracle that all of us pray for.

Wishing you many joyful seizure-free years with Helo. :wavey:

·
Leslie
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Today is Helo's 3 year seizure free anniversary!!!! You can't imagine how happy I am about this. (Or maybe some of you can!) He's doing great. Getting slower and sleeping more because of his age. I don't know how old he is which is a good thing. If I knew, I would be more worried since my other 2 golden boys never made it to 12. He is my sweet love and having him seizure free is the best thing that could ever happen. :)

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Congratulations! And yes, I can understand how happy 3 years seizure free can make you because I have had a dog who experienced seizures. I am glad Helo is doing well. I love the senior dogs with their snowy faces and Helo is beautiful:)

41 - 55 of 55 Posts