Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm 15 and got my first golden puppy a few months ago. Her name is Gracie. I did have a shelter dog quite a few years ago and we think she was a golden/chow mix, she was a great dog and loved women and children but we had to find a new family for her because she was aggresive to men in the neighborhood (we believe she was formerly abused by a man). The pup is around 4 or 5 months old now and she can be quite a handful. I would post pictures but I'm on my iPod now so I'll do that later. By the way potty training was amazingly easy, I've taught her to go on command, but I'm still having trouble with the biting I've tried just about everything but she's still a little yellow Tasmanian devil.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Welcome!! I look forward to pics of Gracie! BTW, i found that if i "yelped" when Zep mouthed me as a puppy, he would stop and lick me. Not sure if it will work for you but might be worth a try... :)

·
Registered
958 Posts
Welcome.

Perhaps it's all in the name....we have an 11 month old Gracie who was also a tazmanian devil:p:. I can tell you that she has gotten better over time. She's still a brat:p: at times, but she's improving.

I think that you will find that most of the really bad obnoxious behaviors will start to disappear (a little at a time) over the next few months. It takes goldens a while to get the wild out, but it's well worth all the pain. Stick with her....you will not regret it.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pics of the gracie

its amazing how fast shes grown, at her first vet visit she was 4.5 lbs, the next she was 11 lbs, and then 25

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Your Gracie is a little cutie. The biting thing is very normal and will pass in time. Keeping lots of appropriate toys handy helps you to replace your hand with something OK to chew on.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've tried that before and sometimes still do, it usually works when she's chewing on something (which she doesn't do nearly as much as I had expected, especially considering she's teething right now) but when she starts biting she just won't stop. I think the only thing I've read that I haven't tried is spraying her with water.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts