Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We lost our last dog Rudy about 1 1/2 years ago at age 13. We now have Molly, a 9 1/2 week old Golden Retriever puppy. We read everything we could in advance of bringing her home and visited the breeder many times before picking her up. She is adorable and we are so happy to have her. We have three grandchildren who are 18 months and are anxious to see a relationship develop over the years.
Like everyone else, I have a couple of questions and don't know if anyone can help.
Everyone has told us that puppies do not soil their crates. Although she never has "pooped", she has had a couple of "piddle" accidents. We are using two crates...a wire crate in the kitchen so she can see what's going on and a plastic one in the bedroom for sleeping and some naps. She sleeps well at night (from about 10pm to 5am and the problem does not seem to be overnight. We both work duriing the day...I took the first week off to jump-start the training. We do, however, both come home at 2 hour intervals to walk & play before going back in the crate.
Next, she eats everything in the yard & on walks...grass, bark...whatever. Is this normal?
Finally, she is very "nippy". She attaches those little teeth to my sweater, socks, pants, etc. as well as fingers. We try to discourage her by saying a firm "no" but so far, it has has had no effect.
All this said, we are so happy to have her become a part of our family and our lives. Thanks

·
Registered
47 Posts
:welcome: Our pup Sandy (11 1/2) weeks is exactly like yours. She does go really crazy outside, and has not really gotten any better in the last 4 weeks since we got her. There are a few exceptions.Now she sleeps thru the night so at least I have more patience. Those sleepless nights were killing me. She has also had about 4 perfect days with no "accidents" inside. A lot of trips outside sometimes with no luck at all. In 2 weeks we are going to start puppy kindergarten. $150.00 for a 6 week class. 1 hour every Monday. We are hoping to get some help with the nipping as her teeth are sooooo strong:crossfing . Anyway, good luck!! You will find the advice here very helpful. I know I have.

·
Premium Member
4,618 Posts
Madelini,
everything you described, seems like perfectly normal puppy behavior.
Eventually they all grow out of it.
You can address specific questions in new threads you can create.
Joe

BTW. Welcome

1 - 3 of 3 Posts