Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I signed up with this site some time ago, but this is my first post. Jake is my 5 month old GR. I got him from a breeder when he was 7 weeks old. At 5 months, he's already over 60 pounds, so he's going to be a big guy! Tonight was our 6th week of an 8-week obedience training class. I was dreading it because after a wonderful start, last week Jake acted like he had no idea what we were doing and he fought me for the entire 90 minutes. I was totally baffled and frustrated, as we have two practice sessions a day at home, plus long walks both mornings and evenings. As we walk, we can practice the heeling, stopping, "leave it", etc. And he does so well with all of this, I couldn't figure out what his problem was last week. But tonight, he must have decided this was fun after all, because he did everything right. I was a very proud mom! I love this puppy to pieces, but I've got to admit, a Golden Retriever pup is a 24/7 job! He has more energy than I could have ever imagined. Thank goodness for crates! Fortunately he likes his "den" - makes life easier for us both. Anyway - hello to everyone here. I have enjoyed reading all the posts.

·
Registered
16,975 Posts
I would be willing to bet that he will perform GReat again this week.

Welcome to the forum. And post pics we love them.

Hooch

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Glad you decided to "come out of the closet" and join us. Jake sounds like a wonderful guy and just full of golden puppy enthusiasm. Sounds like you are doing everything right with him. Hang in there a few more months and you will have yourself a wonderful and reliable almost adult dog. (OK he will be a goofy puppy for another couple of years) :p: but he won't be such a drain on your energy reserves.

I'd love to see some pictures of Jake.

·
Banned
4,311 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. I am sure that Jake has figured out that it can be fun and will make you proud more times than not. Be sure and posts photos. We would love to see that boy of yours. As Hooch said, we love photos.:)

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Welcome to you and Jake. Sounds like he was just nervous and got stage fright. But he overcame it and made you proud. They are a 24/7 dog but so worth it. The love that they give just overwhelm me sometimes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts