Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Welcome to the Forum! If you can tell us what area of the country you are in it would help us to narrow down your options.

First a note of caution: If you are looking for a light dog, you should avoid anyone advertising "English Cream" as it is very uncommon for a reputable breeder to use this term. There ARE reputable breeders who tend to breed dogs on the lighter end of the spectrum, but their first focus will be on health, conformation, and temperament. Color is WAY down on their list (if it makes their list at all).

This thread may give you both some good information and some leads on reputable breeders of light dogs: Ethical "English Creme" breeders

Reactions: CAROLINA MOM

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts

·
Registered
10,334 Posts
I sent them a PM because I do know of an older puppy who'd fit that bill and is available, he was imported from Argentina. Robin Burket is in Tampa area, she has a European pedigree- but she's literally the only one I know who has a program with that style dog who follows the Code of Ethics in all of Florida. Her kennel name (and don't misunderstand- the older puppy is not from her, just a club member who sent me photos, info) is Halia. I am sure she has a website.

·
Kate
23,501 Posts
Are you looking for a golden that’s on the lighter side of average, or a super light golden (from imported lines) like Prism is showing you?
I had the same question.... they aren't very common especially in Florida it seems (lotta dark golds down there o_O!), but there is such a thing as light gold that is not the same as the european line goldens. It's a sandy blond color...sometimes lighter.

This dog is all US lines. He may darken to more of a sandy gold color (about the shade of his ears), but I remember him turning heads because he was so blond.

Dog Carnivore Dog breed Fawn Companion dog

·
Super Moderator
2,212 Posts
I sent them a PM because I do know of an older puppy who'd fit that bill and is available, he was imported from Argentina. Robin Burket is in Tampa area, she has a European pedigree- but she's literally the only one I know who has a program with that style dog who follows the Code of Ethics in all of Florida. Her kennel name (and don't misunderstand- the older puppy is not from her, just a club member who sent me photos, info) is Halia. I am sure she has a website.
My Goldens came to me a bit older, 10 mos and 16 mos. From reputable breeders. My puppy in program turns in on Monday. She left me a week early to spend her last week with my co-raiser, so there’s definitely an emptiness right now. Gotta wait until the fall for my next puppy in program. Don’t tempt me with older puppies by reputable breeders! Must stay strong! 🤣🤣🤣

·
Lead Super Moderator
2,148 Posts
I had the same question.... they aren't very common especially in Florida it seems (lotta dark golds down there o_O!), but there is such a thing as light gold that is not the same as the european line goldens. It's a sandy blond color...sometimes lighter.

This dog is all US lines. He may darken to more of a sandy gold color (about the shade of his ears), but I remember him turning heads because he was so blond.

View attachment 892291
Hey, I know that dog! LOL He has darkened a little, but he's still usually the lightest dog in the ring. And yep, 100% American lines. He does still turn heads because, quite frankly, he's just a very nice dog. His dark pigment combined with his color and headpiece is very striking. Plus, he can really move.

·
Kate
23,501 Posts
Hey, I know that dog! LOL He has darkened a little, but he's still usually the lightest dog in the ring. And yep, 100% American lines. He does still turn heads because, quite frankly, he's just a very nice dog. His dark pigment combined with his color and headpiece is very striking. Plus, he can really move.
His mom and grandma are/were light goldens, so I think that's where it comes from.

And ties into another thread on this forum, there is a TON of obedience behind his mom and uncle (Luke). I watched a lot of the puppy videos when THEY were born way back then because that litter was exactly what I'd been looking for. It was conformation and obedience. :)

·
Lead Super Moderator
2,148 Posts
His mom and grandma are/were light goldens, so I think that's where it comes from.

And ties into another thread on this forum, there is a TON of obedience behind his mom and uncle (Luke). I watched a lot of the puppy videos when THEY were born way back then because that litter was exactly what I'd been looking for. It was conformation and obedience. :)
Mom and grandma are both pretty light, plus grandpa Presto was pretty light from photos I’ve seen. I have loved the puppies from the two line breedings they have done between Leif and one of Luke’s daughters.

Reactions: Megora
1 - 12 of 12 Posts