Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Hannah and Guinness
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there, my name is Hannah and I live in ME. I have put a deposit down on my first Golden Retriever. I have researched the breed to make sure I understand it before I go and buy one and then start taking on challenges that I should have known about before.

He will be ready in 13 days. I am so excited! I just had to sell my 11 and a half week old Great Dane Puppy. We have thought about it and decided it is best to just jump right back on the horse. I could tell you the story, but honestly, it is very long and I don't have time for that.

We chose out puppy out of the two males that were left. We chose this one because someone put their finger in his mouth and he didn't want to bite it, he just sort of moved away probably because he isn't that type of dog or he has already been taught not to do that. The lady has 5 children the ages of 4, 5, 16 and 17 plus babysits children younger than 4, has a cat and is very knowledgable about them. His parents have an excellent Temperment. When he wanted to ger down from our arms (but he couldn't), he would whine for just a second every once in a while, didn't squirm at all and all he wanted to do was lick and lick and lick us. I have a very good feeling about him, but, you never know! I have never heard of an Aggressive Golden Retriever anyway.

We haven't decided a name for him yet, but we started discussing it after we got in the car to go home.

I can't wait to learn more about you guys and I am sure I'll have fun here.

·
IKE- Canine Blood Donor
12,542 Posts
Welcome.....Our first Golden, Sam (Samson), was the runt male of his litter. When we picked him, he was one of 2 remaining. He turned out to be the BEST dog. He was calm, obedient, completely loving, and stole my heart. We lost him last year. After having had Sam, we could only imagine having Golden's and found IKE shortly after Sam passed to the Bridge.

I wish you much happiness and many years with your new Golden Boy!!

·
Hannah and Guinness
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much :) You are very kind and I am so very sorry for your loss, but so happy for your Gain. Thanks again and I really look forward to seeing some pictures of you and Ike plus learning more about you guys :)

I have had a very beloved Kitty go on Rainbow Bridge also a Sweet Little Bunny...

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Great to have another Mainiac here. I'm from all the way up the coast in Calais but we have some other great Maine members as well. I'm sure you will be very happy with your golden once you get him home.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Welcome to the most wonderful place you could find to share your love of Goldens. :)
Can't wait to see pictures of your new baby when you get to bring him home.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Welcome...you sound very excited about your new puppy, can't wait to see pictures!

I just wanted to add, that even if your puppy does begin to bite at your fingers and even wrinkle up his nose and knaw at your trouser leg (which can look aggressive!) it has absolutely nothing to do with aggression...just how puppies play! Aggression in adult dogs is normally brought about by fear and I highly doubt ANY young puppy can actually be 'aggressive.'

Biting as puppies is the ONLY way they know how to interact, and it is the new owners job to show them a new way!

Good luck with this pup...I hope nothing too upsetting happened with your Dane pup and you can enjoy this pup fully.

·
Hannah and Guinness
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you very much. I know that puppies bite. It's just what they do. His father was a good dog, but the mom never should have been bred. It is his personality. We don't have the time to work on the behaviors 24/7, so we gave him to someone who has enough time, really puts effort into her dogs and already has established dogs that can communicate with him better than we can. We can work on it, but since it is his personality, it could come back at any time and we can't handle that. We were hoping that his personality would be like his dads.

Anyway, thanks again. It isn't too upsetting for me. Yes, I miss Titus and all, but he is much happier where he is now and since there are children in my Household, we can't have that considering he will be approximatly 180 lbs. full grown.

Trust me, what he was doing is aggression and dominance. Someone who has a Husband as a vet, has owned, trained, bred and shown Bull Mastiffs for over 30 years PLUS certifies therapy dogs evaluated his behavior (at 48/49 days old is about the time when their personalitys really show) and told us that he should be in a home that has no small children and someone who will have a little extra time to work with him. They feed good food, give daily exercise and just really care about their animals. We had them give us proof about many things before we would even sell him to them.

Thanks EVERYONE very much. I might not reply to anyone in a while as I could possibly be very busy.

Welcome...you sound very excited about your new puppy, can't wait to see pictures!

I just wanted to add, that even if your puppy does begin to bite at your fingers and even wrinkle up his nose and knaw at your trouser leg (which can look aggressive!) it has absolutely nothing to do with aggression...just how puppies play! Aggression in adult dogs is normally brought about by fear and I highly doubt ANY young puppy can actually be 'aggressive.'

Biting as puppies is the ONLY way they know how to interact, and it is the new owners job to show them a new way!

Good luck with this pup...I hope nothing too upsetting happened with your Dane pup and you can enjoy this pup fully.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Hello from Brewer, Maine...
I look forward to hearing more about your pup!

·
Hannah and Guinness
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you LibertyME

Maybe since you are about an hour or so away, we could meet up sometime (but it might not be possible for me).
I look forward to telling you more about my pup then!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Hello and welcome,
You must be so excited to bring your new little boy home. He will really keep you hopping and it is all worth it when the snuggle up to you and just give you lots of kisses. Hop right on in with any questions you might have. There are alot of great people here from breeders, trainers, agility people and just lots of golden lovers.

·
Hannah and Guinness
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh, well that's very nice of you. I really am excited to bring him home - very excited. And I will ask some questions if I have some :)

Thank you :)

·
Registered
16,975 Posts
Hello and a belated welcome to the forum. Hope you will enjoy it here. Just post away and post pictures like you have always been here. :) Hope the waiting days pass by quickly.

·
3 goldens
11,810 Posts
Hello and welcome from the coast of Texas--just about as far away from you as we can get here in the states. But love of goldens, there is no distance nor barrier. Just something about this wonderful dogs.

I am Mom to KayCee who will be 9 in Aug. and Honey, adopted golden mix who turned 6 last Dec. Both are great girls, we love them to pieces. HOney was right at a year when we adopted her--she had been one hour from being gassed at the county pound. Turns out she had heartworms and we had to hvae her treated for them. She just can't seem to stay away from me--huibby is cross country tgrucker, gone 2-4 weeks at a time-- and as I type she is on the end of the bed next to my desk. It is as tho she knows we saved her life, not only from homelessness, but also from a death by heartworms.

KayCee is our spoiled little chicken girl. She had knee problems and had one knee operated on at 16 months, the other 14 months later. She is such a loving girl. Gee, goldens get into your heart in a hurry.

Sorry for the long post. By tghe way, the one in my avatar is Hunter, litter mate to KayCee (got them at 8 weeks). I lost him just after his 4th birthday to adversere reaction to a 6 month heartworm prefventtive injection called ProHeart6. Thanks God, the FDA had them pull it 10 months after his (and several hundred others) death.

·
Hannah and Guinness
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well thank you very much :) I am so sorry for the loss of Hunter! :(

Your girls seem very friendly and I think they love you as much as you do them! It seems that they have a very kind and loving home.

Good luck and Good Job!

By the way, I don't mind the long post. I liked reading it anyway ;)

·
Hannah and Guinness
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you very much :) I think you are very kind also!

I will most definetly post up pictures and stories as well as viewing other's pictures and stories.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts