Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Katrina here, from Sacramento, CA. Just starting my journey for a golden puppy. Reading all the valuable information collected here, great resource.

My former neighbors had two goldens and I fell in love with the breed. Hope to find a reputable breeder soon.

I do have a question or two already.
Through all my reading, about how breeders may or may not have a website, etc., and what things to expect from them, and what they should request of me, I haven't seen anything specifically about whether reputable breeders should or should not provide health guarantees (minimum for duration covered), or request an application from potential buyers. Are there norms in these two areas?

Thank you -- I look forward to continuing my learning and some day soon, getting a sweet golden puppy.

·
Debbie624
340 Posts
So exciting to be searching for a golden puppy. If this is your first golden, you are in for a treat. They are amazing dogs. There is a wealth of info here on the GRF so you have come to the right place. Start searching in the Golden retriever search for a breeder sub forum to gather your info. Yes, a reputable breeder provides a health guarantee. Yes, reputable breeders will have an application for you to complete to ensure you are a good fit for one of their pups. There used to be a "sticky notes" I believe is what it used to be called (before the forum was updated recently) where it talks about very specific info on what you should look for in a breeder, etc. Just look around and you will find what you are looking for. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator Leader
45,828 Posts
Welcome!

I moved your thread into the Choosing a GR Breeder and puppy so you would get more views and replies.

You may want to contact your local GR Club for a Referral-

Here's a thread with a list of CA Breeders, this is primarily SoCal Breeders. If you do a search for NoCal Breeders, there are threads that come up you can read through.

Take a look at this section, there are threads at the top of it called Stickies, they cover a lot of different topics such as websites, clearances, etc.

Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
To your questions- websites are frequently not up to date, and that should not be a red flag necessarily... some of us have the time and skill and others of us do not and try to save up updates to send to webmaster for inclusion. Some of us also do not list litters but all good breeders will do a couple things on their sites: list dogs' registered names, and not have a Paypal button.
Most good breeders do have a questionnaire but I suppose some use telephone conversations instead- I don't have the memory for people's idiosyncrasies so I am not one of those! Good breeders have a process- they may differ person to person, but there is a process.
Warranties- that varies wildly just like the processes. Some breeders have one, a good one, warranting hips and elbows for 24+ months, others have similar but require you to return the dog to take advantage of it.
You should ask to see the contract you'll sign before you send a deposit. And you should also not expect to choose your own puppy or be invited to visit. You should expect to get photos of the whole litter all along, some breeders are better about that than others.
This is a relationship that will last the life of your dog, so be sure you are simpatico with the breeder. If anything turns you off or makes you suspect, just move on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So exciting to be searching for a golden puppy. If this is your first golden, you are in for a treat. They are amazing dogs. There is a wealth of info here on the GRF so you have come to the right place. Start searching in the Golden retriever search for a breeder sub forum to gather your info. Yes, a reputable breeder provides a health guarantee. Yes, reputable breeders will have an application for you to complete to ensure you are a good fit for one of their pups. There used to be a "sticky notes" I believe is what it used to be called (before the forum was updated recently) where it talks about very specific info on what you should look for in a breeder, etc. Just look around and you will find what you are looking for. Good luck!
Thank you! I want to do right for both myself and my future puppy, I'm willing to so the work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome!

I moved your thread into the Choosing a GR Breeder and puppy so you would get more views and replies.

You may want to contact your local GR Club for a Referral-

Here's a thread with a list of CA Breeders, this is primarily SoCal Breeders. If you do a search for NoCal Breeders, there are threads that come up you can read through.

Take a look at this section, there are threads at the top of it called Stickies, they cover a lot of different topics such as websites, clearances, etc.

Good luck in your search.
Thank you for moving to appropriate location. Guess I got excited and just started in with some lingering questions.
I do have one more question...is it typical to start conversations with more than one breeder or is that a no-no, etiquette-wise? I had read somewhere that sometimes it may take time to hear back from breeder(s), so wasn't sure if while awaiting a reply, I can engage with another breeder.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you.
To your questions- websites are frequently not up to date, and that should not be a red flag necessarily... some of us have the time and skill and others of us do not and try to save up updates to send to webmaster for inclusion. Some of us also do not list litters but all good breeders will do a couple things on their sites: list dogs' registered names, and not have a Paypal button.
Most good breeders do have a questionnaire but I suppose some use telephone conversations instead- I don't have the memory for people's idiosyncrasies so I am not one of those! Good breeders have a process- they may differ person to person, but there is a process.
Warranties- that varies wildly just like the processes. Some breeders have one, a good one, warranting hips and elbows for 24+ months, others have similar but require you to return the dog to take advantage of it.
You should ask to see the contract you'll sign before you send a deposit. And you should also not expect to choose your own puppy or be invited to visit. You should expect to get photos of the whole litter all along, some breeders are better about that than others.
This is a relationship that will last the life of your dog, so be sure you are simpatico with the breeder. If anything turns you off or makes you suspect, just move on.
Thank you. I'm glad I joined this forum to continue educating myself, you all have been very helpful and informative.
lf I'm actually kind of relieved to not pick my own puppy, given my exposure to puppy would be limited. All of them will be adorable, and have no favorite in the range of colors. I trust a breeder knows the puppies best, and will help make the best match possible.

·
Super Moderator Leader
45,828 Posts
Thank you for moving to appropriate location. Guess I got excited and just started in with some lingering questions.
I do have one more question...is it typical to start conversations with more than one breeder or is that a no-no, etiquette-wise? I had read somewhere that sometimes it may take time to hear back from breeder(s), so wasn't sure if while awaiting a reply, I can engage with another breeder.
There are several members that are breeders, I will let them answer this question for you as they are more knowledgeable about the correct etiquette regarding this.

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
Of course you can inquire of as many breeders you want- just realize all good breeders know all other good breeders, and we talk. We might even ask other breeders if they've gotten inquiry from you and whether they will have a puppy for you- once you get to the deposit phase, let everyone else know. If breeder doesn't take deposits and instead uses a wait list, be sure to let them know you are going to either keep looking (if it is long) or not.
is a funny but true article from years ago on this very thing.

and here is a PS from the same author:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Of course you can inquire of as many breeders you want- just realize all good breeders know all other good breeders, and we talk. We might even ask other breeders if they've gotten inquiry from you and whether they will have a puppy for you- once you get to the deposit phase, let everyone else know. If breeder doesn't take deposits and instead uses a wait list, be sure to let them know you are going to either keep looking (if it is long) or not.
is a funny but true article from years ago on this very thing.

and here is a PS from the same author:
Great -- thank you. Very informative. I did contact one breeder with an email, and included much of what is suggested in article, although I did say that I was on a journey to find a puppy to add to our family, and reached out to them on a friends recommendation. Haven't heard back yet...hope I didn't mess up. Thanks again!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts