Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I am Bobby and have had my Golden for a little under two years. He will be turning two in April. His name is Echo and he is one of the best things that has ever walked [or should I say slept?] his way into my life. He is the first dog I have ever owned, and there has never been a dull moment in my life since he has been in it. Before I had Echo I use to be terrified of Golden Retriever because of an incident I was in with a Golden that had food aggression when I was younger. I got Echo from the Humane Society when he was a couple of months old. The moment I laid my eyes on him I knew he was the dog for me. While his whole litter was trying to get the attention of people passing, he was just in a corner, laying on his back with his front paws in the air, sleeping, and snoring. A worker noticed me looking in his direction and told me that the one sleeping was the only one that wasn't already going to be placed, and saying how people showed very little interest in him probably because people like "excited puppies" and not sleepers. No one was interested in this beautiful sleeping puppy? My heart broke for him. It makes my eyes tear up just thinking about the way I felt when I heard the guy say that. I was going to be the one that would love that poor little sleeping puppy. I told the guy that I was interested and he told me that the puppy and I would have to go in a meeting room to see how well we were with each other. Right as Echo came into the room he was no longer the sleeping puppy that I laid my eyes on. He was showing A LOT of excitement. Tail wagging so fast, running almost sideways because his paws too big for his little body. His face looked as if he had such a big smile on it, and I felt as if he wanted to come home with me as much as I wanted him to, and he did! As I was filling out the forms they were telling me about his little [couple of months] but big past. They told me that his mother and father were rescued by the lady who had got this puppy mill a couple cities away shut down. His mother was so skinny the lady that had rescued her didn't even know she was pregnant until she had a litter on her kitchen floor, she took the puppies to the humane society. The worker then said "So he is the product of a puppy mill, and you have to be aware he, as well as all these puppies have the potential to have a lot of medical problems, problems that may cost a lot of money" and went on to asking if I was still interested. That information didn't change my mind at all. Everyone was telling me how deep I was possibly getting, I didn't care, he was going to be my dog. The only thing that ever came into my mind was the thought of how his mother was doing, and how his father was. It might sound weird, but I just cared at the fact that my dog wasn't going to know who his parents were.

Fast forward to present.

He is happy, healthy and has never had any complications due to the puppy mill. Also, either by pure coincidence or by miracle and a trip to the dog park I met a lady with two older Golden Retrievers of her own who was telling me a story about how she saved her two Goldens from a puppy mill. She told me how her female was so skinny she didn't even realize she was pregnant until she had a litter on the kitchen floor. She had to give the puppies to a local humane society though because she didn't have enough money to take care of them. She was spending all her money at the vet for the two she saved. I told her I got my puppy from a local humane society and how the workers told me pretty much what she just told me. She started crying.

We frequently meet up and our dogs play with each other.

I'm sorry this post is so long. I just wanted to share my dogs story!

Hope to chat with you guys!

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
Hi and Welcome! What a wonderful story, it brought tears to my eyes. You are Echo's angel and you two were meant to be together. You will be so glad that you found this forum. Its a great place with really nice people. Oh and can you post some pictures when you get a chance? We would love to see Echo. :D

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Welcome to you and Echo. It sounds like you have found a great one there. Please post some pictures when you get a chance.

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
What a happy ending for the first chapter of Echo's life and a beautiful beginning of his new one with you! Thanks for sharing it with us :) I'm dying to see photos of Echo and I hope to hear more about him on here too!

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
this is one of the best, best stories ever-beginning with your fear of goldies! please share a pic of Echo ASAP --

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,078 Posts
Welcome to the forum....what a touching story!! So glad that you and Echo found each other.

Looking forward to seeing some pics of Echo.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
What a great story!!! Welcome!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for your replies! If there is one thing I have noticed about Golden owners is that they are some of the most nicest, inviting people! Believe me, pictures will be up soon.

·
Super Moderator Leader
51,676 Posts
Hi and Welcome.
What a wonderful heartwarming story about Echo! Rescue pups and dogs are the most loving companions you could ever ask for.

Can't wait to see pictures of Echo!

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Bobby

Bobby, Welcome!

You will love it here.

Where are you from? Might have missed it in your post!

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Bobby

Bobby

Just went back to read your entire story about Echo and I got tears in my eyes just reading it.

Guess what- I would have adopted him, too. Bless you for noticing the sleeping puppy, Echo!!! Echo now has a very loving and fun home with you!!!:):)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I probably would have chose the sleeping puppy as well. One of the reason's I chose Brady was because he was playful but then would crawl into my lap and fall asleep when I was at the breeder's picking him out. Even with all the other puppies crawling around us he would continue to sleep in my lap. They say that you don't choose the dog, the dog chooses you. Seems like a little bit of both happened here.

·
Registered
103 Posts
When I picked out Rosie, none of the pups would really choose me. I just worked through them and found the most passive, unflappable one out of the 8 I was able to choose from.

For once, I picked right.

Our first Golden, JJ, picked my. I reached into a sea of puppies and she jumped into my hands and that was the start of a beautiful friendship. She and I were seldom apart over the next 9.5 years.

·
Registered
212 Posts
welcome...thanks for sharing such a great story...would love to hear more about echo and see more pics!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts