Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I was happy to find this forum. I am constantly on the move for my job and can’t predict where I will be when questions arise. I have been lurking for a short while and reading through some of the topics. What a wealth of information.

Wonka is a four year old male who was rescued as a pup. The rescue folks told me that he was obviously a pure bred Golden, but there was no tattoo or microchip. He has been with me since then in our little motorized house, as we travel to job sites and the places in between. Oh, I guess I should mention that my name is Will.

I look forward to learning more about this wonderful breed, here on the forum. :)

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
Welcome! What a cool job that you can travel and take your best bud with you. Please post pictures of Wonka when you get a chance. Enjoy the forum Will.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Welcome Will and Wonka.

Glad you have found us and hope you will share some pictures of him with all of us. we love new puppy pictures. It must be an exciting life to travel all around all the time, seeing new places and meeting new people.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Welcome! You will learn so much on these forums, I can't go a day without them! Looking forward to seeing pics of your pup soon!

·
Chester & Murphy's Mom
7,464 Posts
Welcome...Will and Wonka!! That is cute, I must ask did your puppers come with his name? We love pictures...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks for the welcome.

Welcome! I love the name! :)
When I first adopted him, I wanted to learn a bit about his personality before choosing a name. He quickly adapted to his new home and began to exhibit his puppy exuberance.

A friend from Maine was visiting when I was in the San Diego area to meet with a client. When he saw the puppy bounding around, he exclaimed, "What a wonker!" Of course, being a life-long downeaster, he pronounced it "wankahhh". Later that day, I was meeting with an engineer whose son was fascinated by the pup. The child was saying goodbye to us, and slipped into his native Spanish language. Thus "Will and Wonka" came out as "Will y Wonka". That settled it and Wonka became his name.

I'll figure out the pictures thing and post some pics of Wonka as a pup and now as a handsome young adult.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Love it!! I teach 6th grade English and we read the play version of the story every year. And then we watch both movie versions. I'm surprised I never thought to name a dog after a character from there...

·
Registered
8,990 Posts
Welcome from Georgia to wherever you and Wonka may be today! :wavey:

Looking forward to seeing some pictures and hearing some stories of your adventures!
Just curious....besides your motor home where is the place you call home?

Al & Tuff Dog

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looking forward to seeing some pictures and hearing some stories of your adventures!
Just curious....besides your motor home where is the place you call home?
Home is an interesting concept. My emotional home is New England, where I was raised and went to school (born in Maine and high school in Cambridge, Mass.). I rarely get to spend much time there because of my work.

I am a “homeowner” though. A few years back, while in the SF bay area, a beautiful little place in the mountains went up for sale. It is essentially a shack surrounded by 40 acres of redwoods and tall trees, accessible only by a dirt road. The shack was enough for it to qualify for a standard mortgage. Since I have clients and friends nearby (well, near is a stretch), it seemed like a good choice.

Generally though, home is wherever I park the bus.

·
Hudson's girl
417 Posts
Welcome Will and Wonka! I could not live without this forum. I get wonderful advice and a lot of laughs. Hope to see some pictures of you and Wonka soon.:)

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Welcome from DownEast Maine to you and Wonka. Looking forward to the pictures of your boy. Please make yourself at home here.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts