Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I joined a while ago, but never posted. My name is Kate and I have 2 goldens. Ashley is 5 1/2 years old and my husband and I got her when she was 8 weeks old. Clayton we adopted from a rescue when he was almost 1 1/2 and now he is 4 years old. He is my big bear. They both are Therapy dogs and they love reading with children and going to nursing homes. They do agility and rally o.
Right now Ashley is going through Chemo treatments as she has Mast cell cancer that has spread to her lymph nodes , liver and 30% involvement in her bone marrow. We first noticed a lump on one of her right hind toe pads, which our vet said it looked like it was just hyperkeratosis (like a corn). So after a year we went and had a second opinion, they did a biopsy and came back Mast cell cancer. She had her toe removed 7/08 with clean margins yeah!!! we though we were done. 12/3/08 found her right lymph node behind her knee was extremely enlarged. Next day had a biopsy and came back metastatic MCT. Ultrasound was done and there was an abdominal lymph node that was also enlarged. We opted to have both removed and they biopsied they spleen and liver too. We went to the oncologist at Cornell University and that is where we found out that he bone marrow was involved and that is when we decided chemo. We started 1/7/09 with alternating rounds of Lomustine and Vinblastine. She has had 4 treatments already and has 6 more to go and all is looking good so far.

Clayton is missing his playmate as she does not have much energy to play for a long period of time. SO I try to get him out as much as possible to expend some of that pent up energy he has. I hope that I can get at least a few more good quality years with her after doing chemo. She is just too young to let her go yet....

Thanks for reading,

Kate, Ashley and Clayton

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Welcome!! I had a dog have a toe removed due to cancerous cells too.. I hope your girl takes to the treatments well and gets well soon! Would love to see some pics of your pups!

·
Administrator
16,462 Posts
Thanks for joining the board. Sorry to hear you are having health issues with one of your Goldens. I hope all the treatments will pay off and will give her many more years with Clayton.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Welcome to the forum,
Glad you started posting and hope to see pictures of both of the pups. Sorry about her having cancer but hopefully she will be one of the lucky ones and beat it. Good luck with the chemo. We have several members here that are going thru cancer treatments with their dogs and hopefully they will have some information for you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts