Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I'm so glad to have found this forum, I'm going to be getting my golden, Rocky, on May 28th and I'm so excited and can't wait until he comes home! This is my very first time to have any pets, although I've been wanting a dog for a long time. I look forward to talking to all of you and learning through all your experience how to take good care of my new golden.:D

·
Premium Member
4,618 Posts
Hi Tracy? You're from Edmonton? Wow, so close to Rockies...
I was in Rockie Mountains just last year. For little over 3 weeks, hiking 8-12 hours every day and I loved it. BC is so very different from Ontario. I miss those mountains... :(
Joe

·
Registered
20 Posts
Welcome

To the site, and good luck with your new pup! I got my pup on March 12th, Wilson is 4 mos. old now and doing great. You should be able to view pictures of him in the puppy section. My sister had told me that the first month with a puppy was the most difficult, and she was right. Wilson is our first dog (my husband and I) and we all needed to adjust to the new life. He catches on very quickly, he's adorable, loves people and other dogs. Everyone we encounter says that Golden's are the best and I firmly believe it. We bought a puppy training book at the book store called "how to train a puppy you can live with" which I still reference a lot. We ask the breeder and other dog owners for advice - this website is a great place for feedback. Now we are going to puppy training classes which I highly recommend. Maybe we overdo it but I'm sure this will pay off over and over as time goes by. Take care.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello Meggies Mum, I will definitely be taking lots of pictures! I'm even planning to make a scrapbook for him, am I getting a bit obsessed?:p

Hi timberwolfe, no i'm not from BC, i'm actually from Alberta:D

Hi Admin, yeap I'm from Edmonton, we are pretty close to the Rockies, we go hiking and camping there during the summer. I'm really looking forward to bringing my puppy hiking when he gets a little older.:)

Hi Nancy, Wilson is so adorable! I really hope to hear more stories and experiences between you, your husband and Wilson. I'm reading "K.I.S.S Guide To Raising A Puppy" right now, but next time I go to the bookstore I will be sure to look out for "how to train a puppy you can live with":D

·
Registered
14 Posts
tracey,
Enjoy the puppy stage- they grow up so fast! i was in your shoes 7 years ago. a first time dog owner, a golden was the best choice. they are so loving and you will have a friend by your side for many years to come! Kay

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello Everyone!

I just brought Rocky home today, he's adorable, he's 7 weeks tomorrow. He was crying a lot on the way home too and from time to time when he's at home.

He's not eating a lot, he'll eat when we had him a few kibbles but that's all, he won't eat from the dish.:(

He's napping quite often too, this is normal right? When he got home he explored the backyard a bit when we were getting him to pee and poo before coming inside, after he poop we played with him for a bit then when he came inside he took a 20 min nap, we brought him outside to see if he needs to pee, but we tried twice and he didn't go. Now he's napping again.. it's been about 15 mins. How long should each nap approx. be?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hi.

Daisy is our puppy. She's 10 weeks tomorrow and we've had her since May 19. She also sleeps a lot. Her naps can vary from 15 minutes to 2-3 hours, depending on the time of day and how much exercise she's had.

I wouldn't worry about the eating. Rocky is probably just a bit upset right now. He'll come around as he gets more comfortable. Daisy ate just under 2 cups of food for her first few days and we thought that was fine. Now we realize that she actually eats much more than that and she must have been adjusting during those first few days.

So, enjoy Rocky but beware of the biting and nipping. It can get frustrating and painful. I'm happy to report that after 10 days of Daisy nipping us all the time, we've finally figured out how to control her. Let me know if you need any pointers! :) With lots of :smooch: and a little :crossfing , you guys will be perfect.

Contratulations and enjoy the newest edition to your family!
Bonni

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Bonni! Rocky has finally started to eat a little bit at a time, but he hasn't peed all day, this morning when i went to get him the breeder told me he's already peed this morning (at about 8:30am) but it's already 6:45pm now and he hasn't gone once. We try to take him out ever 2 hours and after his nap (which is quite often, since he does sleep quite often and his naps do vary from 15min to 45min).

Please do give me some pointers, Rocky has been nipping me all day, he thinks my hand is a chewing toy, each time i pet his head he tries to bite.

-----------------------------

hi tx.lakerats, thanks, you're golden looks so nice! His teeths are pretty huge, well i'm sure it's average size, but compared to my tiny little puppy they're huge.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Nipping/biting

Our pup was very mouthy at the beginning and it was frustrating because when ever we would try to play with him or pet him he would bite us (not hard, but still biting). So every single time we would say no biting, and put a chew toy in front of his mouth (and we have a lot of toys). Eventually he figured it out. Be consistent, persistent and patient - and always praise good behavior. Good luck!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks for the tips tx.lakerats! I think i might give that a try later on in the day.

Nancy: I've tried that many times, but he seems to like to chew on everything but his chew toys. Just yesterday he was chewing on the stairs (we have a flight that are painted wooden stairs). He hasn't gone into his crate at all, i'm still trying to get him use to it, he goes halfway in, but then he just starts chewing on the towel we put into their then he starts to chew on the crate. I give him his kong and he just stares at it then goes back to chewing the crate. He really likes to chew on his leash too, i put a leash on him when we're in our backyard because i want him to get use to it, but he just chews on it. I think i'm going to go get him a muzzle today, to show dominance, because he was playing really rough outside this morning.

I think i've made a big mistake too, well yesterday around every two hours we would bring him outside to where he should be going poo, but it seems that he thinks that's his discipline spot now, because every time we bring him to that spot we just stand there and watch him and talk to him and wait for him to go.

I'm scared we might have even broken a bond, because yesterday every time i clapped my hand and said come, he would come to me. But this morning when i clap my hand he just stood there staring at me. I didn't spank him or hit him at all, but every time he started nipping me or my clothes i would put my hand under his chin to close it and say no. I look into his eyes when i say that, but I'm thinking i shouldn't, because I read that the dog could interpret that as aggressiveness.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Your Rocky is a handsome fella. I have a little suggestion for you pertaining to the crate. All his toys, all his feedings, all the fun things in life go into that crate. Nap time should be in the crate. When you give him the Kong put a little Cheez Whiz or peanut butter inside. I would just rub a little on the inside to keep him interested and close the door on the crate. If you want you could do that before bedtime and freeze the Kong. That way it'll be nice and cold for him the next day and should help with the teething. Just a suggestion.
Another suggestion for the chewing is to spray "Bitter Apple" on the leash, stairs etc. where you don't want him to chew.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've tried to put his food inside the crate yesterday but instead of going inside to eat he chooses not to eat when we put the food in the crate, I was thinking of putting something like peanut butter in the kong but my breeder told me not to because she consider peanut butter to be "table scrap". She said to feed the dog NOTHING but dog food:confused:

I heard about "bitter apple" too, but i'm not to sure what it is or where i could get it?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Just go to your local pet store for the Bitter Apple. As for the peanut butter in the kong, it's best to listen to the breeder, at least while he's still so young.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.