Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Hello from The First State...

Tags
687 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  gold4me 
#1 ·
Hi,

I've been a reader on this forum for a few years, but today is the first time I'm actually posting. I've been owned by two Goldens previously. I had my first Golden (Shannon) for ten years from the time she was a puppy but lost her four years ago to a hemangiosarcoma that ruptured on her heart. My second (Millie) was a rescue and I only had her for less than two years and lost her to the same condition. She was not quite ten years old.

I am currently researching English Golden breeders as my wife and I are interested in adding a healthy puppy to our family.

Best,
Avery

#4 ·
Welcome to the forum. If you like the English style golden then great search for it. BUT if you are just looking at the English style golden to stay away from cancer that won't help. 66% of golden retrievers end up with some form of cancer. :(
The best we can do is to make sure we purchase our goldens from reputable breeders that do the tests that the breed club suggests they do. Then you can look at the history, health and longevity of their lines to help weigh in and better your odds on getting that healthy golden. Reputable breeders usually do more than just the tests that the GRCA suggests, they do things with their dogs to prove that their dogs meet the standards. Many do conformation, some do performance, some do obeidence and agility etc. There are some that do more than just one venue with their dogs.

#5 ·
Welcome to the forum, I hope you will find it as helpful and informative as I have... I've learned so much here over the past couple years. There are some extremely knowledgeable people here who have been training and breeding goldens for many years and they are kind enough to share their knowledge with us.

We would love to see some photos of your dogs and hear some of their stories.

#7 ·
Thanks, everyone!

I've been owned by two American Goldens but I am a fan of the English Golden. I know all too well that I'll never be able to totally avoid cancer in Goldens but I love the breed so I guess that is an acceptable risk for me. There is no dog quite like a Golden, which I'm sure you can all relate to. :)

Here is a picture of Millie, my rescue from GRREAT, who passed away recently. Despite the graying face, she was a puppy until the day we had to say good bye to her.

Avery

#8 ·
Awww a precious beautiful face. I am sorry about your loses. We have lost 4 to some type of hemangiosarcoma and our last angel, Emmy, has only been gone from us since April 23rd. We are still grieving. You are right though even with the cancer risk goldens are what we ALWAYS want in our family. Good luck with your search.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.