Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Zoë
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

My name is Preston and I got my Golden puppy a week ago. I am absolutely in love with her. Her name is Zoë. I had a Golden when I was growing up and have always wanted another one. I am an English teacher in Shanghai, China. It was tough decision between getting her here or waiting till I move back to America, but ended up finally getting one since my girlfriend and I have a lot of free time to train and raise her and I am looking at staying here for longer than expected. We went through the difficult process of looking at shelters, adoptions and breeders (boy did I see some scary places) but in the end we found the most reputable breeder after talking to lots of other GR owners here and decided on his pup. Still not sure if she is 100% Golden, but the breeder said he will pay for a blood test at 6 months if we don't believe him. Its hard to trust his paperwork. The language barrier caused a lot of headaches and confusion, but at least there are great foreign vets out here that checked to make sure everything was ok.
Now I just hope she remains as healthy and good natured as she is now. She is a little mouthy, but is great other than that. How does she look?

Attachments

·
Zoë
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Zoë is on royal canine medium junior food. The breeder's food was not the best and now I am reading that royal canine is not that good for her either. She loves it. Eats the entire bowl every time. I think if I left the bag open she would eat the whole thing. My question is if I want to change, what should I change to. She is 10 weeks now. Read a lot about Fromm, Purina pro plan, blue buffalo, and eukanuba, but I don't know what's the best for her. Any suggestions would help a lot. Thanks

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
7,193 Posts
When Max was a puppy we fed him Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy food. He did very well on it and ate it until he was around 15 months old. The last year or so we have fed him Acana Wild Prairie.

·
Kristy
9,158 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Zoe is precious :) You all must be having so much fun with her :) We will definitely need more photos! Be sure to take a bunch every day, you will be shocked at how quickly she will grow and those photos will be a treasure very soon. My puppy girl is 17 weeks today (can't believe it) and she is looking very lanky and losing most of her puppy fuzz. Still adorable to me, but not looking like a round fluffy baby anymore.

I'm so surprised you have access to such a wide variety of food choices. My vet is very adamant about using a large breed formula for slow growth. Also about it being much better for your puppy to grow up a little more lean than a little more chubby. Less stress on joints, just like with people. I doubt you could go wrong with any of the brands you listed.

Do you have options for taking your puppy to a training class? If you do not, you could check here for suggestions on training videos on you tube. There are some great tools there and people on this forum like Solinvictus (she posted earlier in this thread) are also a wonderful resource for training suggestions and advice. It's not too early to start :)

·
Zoë
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
She sure is growing fast. Sadly there are no trainers here. (well there are, but too far away and I have no car to transport) so I will definately use this forum a lot for training. After looking at different dog foods, I realized my first vet prescribed the wrong food. She is on puppy food for a medium sized dog which has short growth high energy supplements. Needless to say, I switched to a new vet. Supposedly the best in shanghai and China. But now I want to switch her food right away. Is it ok to switch this fast? She has been eating it for only a week. I know if I get new food I should gradually switch, but should I start the process now or later? Thanks for any suggestions. This forum is amazing.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi! Zoe looks awesome! Do you know the name and contact info of the breeder in Shanghai who you got her from? I live in Shanghai and would like to get a Golden from a reputable breeder, but am having a hard time finding good breeders.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts